Ron Gutman is a speaker, writer, advisor, serial entrepreneur and angel investor.
A graduate of Stanford University, Gutman is the CEO and Founder of the Interactive Health company HealthTap. HealthTap received Series A funding in 2011 from The Mayfield Fund, Eric Schmidt’s Innovation Endeavors and Mohr Davidow Ventures.
Life and education
Gutman is a serial entrepreneur who studied at Stanford University as a graduate student. While at Stanford, Gutman led a multidisciplinary group of faculty and graduate students to conduct research into personalized health and ways to increase health engagement among people and patients. The research group included faculty and students from departments across Stanford, resulting in the creation of a health and well-being engagement program at the university, BeWell@Stanford.
In addition to serving as the CEO of HealthTap, Gutman is also an angel investor and advisor to health and technology companies, including Rock Health (an Interactive Health incubator), Stanford Medicine X, Harvard Medical School's SMArt Initiative ("Substitutable Medical Apps, reusable technologies") and Massive Health.
In 2006, Gutman founded Wellsphere, an online consumer health company, where he served as CEO. Wellsphere, an active community of health writers, served more than 100 million people. The site was acquired in early 2009.
Events & public speaking
A recognized thought leader in health and innovation, Gutman frequently speaks at technology and health conferences (such as TED, SXSW and Health 2.0). His writing on health, technology and smiling has been published in national publications including Forbes and the Huffington Post 
Gutman is an active leader in the TED community. In 2011, he gave a popular TED Talk on smiling, which has been translated into 46 languages. In 2012, he published a TED Book, Smile: The Astonishing Power of a Simple Act. He also serves as the Curator of TEDx Silicon Valley.
- "Who We Are" HealthTap.com
- "HealthTap Announces $11.5M in Series A Funding led by Mayfield Fund, Mohr Davidow Ventures and Eric Schmidt's Innovation Endeavors". PR Newswire. 6 December 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Stanford BeWell 2010 Annual Report" www.stanford.edu, 2010
- "Team" RockHealth.com
- "Announcing our Medicine X advisors for 2011-12" http://medicinex.stanford.edu/, October 25, 2012
- "Ron Gutman" TED: Ideas Worth Spreading
- "CrunchBase: Ron Gutman" CrunchBase.com, June 6, 2011
- "Ron Gutman" http://www.ted.com/
- Ron Gutman "The Untapped Power of Smiling" Forbes, March 22, 2011
- "How Technology Has Changed The Way We Access Health" www.huffingtonpost.com, June 10, 2011
- "Ron Gutman: The Hidden Power of Smiling" TED:Ideas Worth Spreading, March 2011
- "Smile: The Astonishing Power of a Simple Act" Amazon.com, December 6, 2011