August 8, 1963 |
Union Township, Union County, New Jersey
|August 17, 1986, for the Chicago White Sox|
|Last MLB appearance|
|September 26, 1997, for the Chicago White Sox|
|Runs batted in||335|
Drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 1st round of the 1982 MLB amateur draft, Karkovice would make his Major League Baseball debut with the Chicago White Sox on August 17, 1986, and appeared in his final game on September 26, 1997. He was called "Officer Ron Karkovice" by White Sox broadcaster Ken "Hawk" Harrelson due to Karkovice's physical resemblance of a stereotypical patrol office, his hard nosed demeanor, and his skill in solving clubhouse crimes.
When Karkovice was seven years old, his family moved to Florida after his father, who worked for United Airlines, was transferred. He began playing baseball in Little League at age eight. Karkovice later attended Boone High School in Orlando, where he first started catching at 14, and was teammates with Joe Oliver.
Karkovice was one of the best fielding catchers in the Major Leagues during his time with the White Sox. For his career, he threw out 41% of base stealers. In 1993, he threw out 54% of them.
In 2001 Karkovice managed the Gulf Coast League Royals. He then coached the First Academy baseball team in Orlando in an assistant capacity, before moving on as head coach for Pine Castle Christian Academy. From 2009–2011, Karkovice served as hitting coach for the Newark Bears of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball. In 2012, Karkovice was named bench coach for the Camden Riversharks, another Atlantic League team. He was promoted to manager of the club the next year, but fired at the end of the 2014 season.
- Newark Bears 2010 team yearbook. 2010. p. 30.
- Holtzman, Jerome (September 11, 1986). "Karkovice Keeps His Own Counsel". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Badger, Emily (July 6, 2004). "Karkovice Also In Restaurant Business". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Perry, Dayn (December 17, 2010). "The Inside-the-Park Grand Slam: An Appreciation". Fangraphs. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "White Sox Win on Inside-the-Park Grand Slam Homer". Los Angeles Times. Associated Press. August 30, 1990. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Just, David (August 25, 2008). "Where are they now? Ron Karkovice". MLB.com. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "New start, new league, new uniforms for Newark Bears". The Observer. May 25, 2011. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Chappelear, Scott (April 22, 2014). "Camden Riversharks make big changes to change fortunes on field". South Jersey Times (NJ.com). Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Sports in Brief: Widger to manage Camden Riversharks". Philly.com. December 10, 2014. Retrieved December 14, 2014.