Prof Laskey (right) presented with the 2014 Cancer Research UK Lifetime Achievement Prize by Chief Scientist Nic Jones
|Born||Ronald Alfred Laskey
January 26, 1945 
|Spouse||Margaret Ann Page (m. 1971)|
Ronald Alfred Laskey CBE FRS (born 26 January 1945) is a British cell biologist and cancer researcher. He was the Charles Darwin Professor of Embryology at the University of Cambridge. In 1991, he co-founded the Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research Campaign Institute (now known as the Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute), along with five other senior scientists including Professor Sir John Gurdon. In 2001, he founded the Medical Research Council Cancer Cell Unit in 2001, and was Director of the Unit until 2010. Laskey is also a Fellow of Darwin College, Cambridge.
Awards and honours
Laskey received a CBE in the 2011 New Year Honours. Other significant honours include the Royal Society Royal Medal, for his "pivotal contributions to our understanding of the control of DNA replication and nuclear protein transport, which has led to a novel screening method for cancer diagnosis", and the Cancer Research UK Lifetime Achievement Prize.
- 1984: Elected Fellow of the Royal Society.
- 1998: Louis-Jeantet Prize for Medicine.
- 2000: Tomorrow's World award for health innovation.
- 2001: Croonian Lecture.
- 2009: Royal Society Royal Medal.
- 2011: Received an CBE in the New Year Honours list for services to Science.
- 2014: Cancer Research UK Lifetime Achievement In Cancer Research Prize
And Now For Something Completely Different
Prof. Laskey is also the author, composer and singer of (mostely) science-based humorous songs, in the tradition of Tom Lehrer.
Various combinations of these songs were published by the Cold Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press in three records: "Songs for Cynical Scientists" (audio cassette), "More Songs for Cynical Scientists" and "Selected Songs for Cynical Scientists" (CDs). Only the last-mentioned record is still available 
- Video discussing Lifetime Achievement Prize
- LASKEY, Prof. Ronald Alfred. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2015 (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. (subscription required)
- Laskey, R. A. (1981). "Molecular mechanisms of chromatin assembly". Biochemical Society Transactions. 9 (4): 263–70. doi:10.1042/bst0090263. PMID 6266896.
- Celebrating the 21st anniversary of the Gurdon Institute
- "Cancer unit at Cambridge opens in 2001". Times Higher Education Supplement. 30 October 1998. Retrieved 7 December 2011.
- Darwin College List of Fellows
- Royal Society Royal Medal winners
- List of Royal Society Fellows
- Prize Laureats 1998
- Medical Research Council: News & Publications: Royal Society awards recognise MRC scientists (accessed 13 January 2013)
- RAE 2001: Clinical Laboratory Sciences: University of Cambridge: RA6a Additional observations, Evidence of esteem (accessed 13 January 2013)
- Laskey R (June 2005). "The Croonian Lecture 2001: Hunting the antisocial cancer cell: MCM proteins and their exploitation". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences. 360 (1458): 1119–32. doi:10.1098/rstb.2005.1656. PMC . PMID 16147513.
- New Year Honours list 2011
|This article about a biologist from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|