Livingston in May 2010
|Born||Ronald Joseph Livingston
June 5, 1967
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, U.S.
|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Spouse(s)||Rosemarie DeWitt (m. 2009)|
Livingston was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, to Linda (née Rinas), a Lutheran pastor, and Kurt Livingston, an aerospace/electronics engineer. His younger brother John is also an actor; sister Jennifer Livingston and brother-in-law Mike Thompson are both TV news personalities at WKBT in La Crosse, Wisconsin. He graduated from Marion High School in Marion, Iowa, and attended Yale University, where he received B.A. degrees in Theater and English. Livingston had his first acting experience at Theatre Cedar Rapids after being introduced to the group during a school job shadowing. Livingston relocated to Chicago and became involved in the local theater scene.
Livingston's first film role was in 1992, in Dolly Parton's Straight Talk. He moved to Los Angeles and was cast in supporting roles in Some Folks Call it a Sling Blade and The Low Life. Livingston landed his first role in a major film in 1996's Swingers. He starred as the male lead, Peter Gibbons, in the comedy cult classic Office Space, which co-starred Jennifer Aniston and was written and directed by Mike Judge. He also appeared in HBO's miniseries Band of Brothers as Captain Lewis Nixon opposite Donnie Wahlberg and Damian Lewis. Going beyond nice-guy roles, Livingston played a Hollywood agent in Adaptation (2002); a weaselly Ivy League upstart to Alec Baldwin's casino boss in The Cooler (2003); and teachers in Winter Solstice and Pretty Persuasion (both 2005). He also appeared as sardonic writer Jack Berger, Carrie's short-term boyfriend in the fifth and sixth seasons of Sex and the City. He guest starred in the episode "TB or Not TB" of House. In 2006, he starred as FBI negotiator Matt Flannery in the Fox series Standoff, co-starring Rosemarie DeWitt, and he was an ad spokesman for Sprint Nextel.
In summer 2007, Livingston appeared on the off-Broadway stage in the world premiere of Neil LaBute's In a Dark Dark House, produced by MCC Theater, with Frederick Weller and Louisa Krause. The show ran from May–July at the Lucille Lortel Theatre in New York City. In November 2007, the indie film Holly told the story of a Vietnamese girl trafficked into the sex trade in Cambodia. Livingston starred as Patrick, a shady card shark who becomes determined to save Holly from her ill-destined fate.
In 2010, Livingston co-starred in the Jay Roach comedy Dinner for Schmucks. On February 26, 2013, Entertainment Weekly confirmed that he would be joining the cast of HBO's Boardwalk Empire for the fourth season.
In 2013, Livingston co-starred in the indie comedy Drinking Buddies alongside Olivia Wilde, Jake Johnson and Anna Kendrick. Drinking Buddies received positive reviews from critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 82% based on 97 reviews.
Livingston and his Standoff co-star Rosemarie DeWitt began a relationship after meeting each other on the show. After dating for three years, they were married on November 2, 2009, in San Francisco. He was previously engaged to actress Lisa Sheridan.
In May 2013, Livingston and wife Rosemarie announced that they had adopted a girl, Gracie James Livingston, who was born on April 29, 2013. In December 2016, the couple announced they adopted another daughter Esperanza Mae Livingston, the previous year.
|1994||Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade||N/A||Short|
|1995||The Low Life||Chad|
|1997||Campfire Tales||Rick / RV Driver||Segments: "The Honeymoon" and "The Campfire"|
|1997||The Small Hours||Steve|
|1999||Dill Scallion||Ron Statlin|
|1999||Office Space||Peter Gibbons|
|1999||The Big Brass Ring||Sheldon Buckle|
|1999||Two Ninas||Marty Sachs|
|2000||A Rumor of Angels||Uncle Charlie|
|2002||Buying the Cow||Tyler Carter Bellows|
|2003||The Cooler||Larry Sokolov|
|2003||King of the Ants||Eric Gatley||Uncredited|
|2005||Winter Solstice||Mr. Bricker|
|2004||Little Black Book||Derek|
|2005||Pretty Persuasion||Mr. Anderson|
|2005||The Life Coach||Ron|
|2006||Life Happens||Ben Dreamantowski||Short|
|2006||Relative Strangers||Richard Clayton|
|2007||Music Within||Richard Pimentel|
|2008||The Spleenectomy||Dr. Bannister||Short|
|2009||The Time Traveler's Wife||Gomez|
|2010||Dinner for Schmucks||Caldwell|
|2010||Going the Distance||Will|
|2012||Queens of Country||Rance McCoy|
|2012||The Odd Life of Timothy Green||Franklin Crudstaff|
|2013||The Pretty One||Charles|
|2013||The Conjuring||Roger Perron|
|2013||The Sidekick||Captain Wonder||Short|
|2013||Parkland||James P. Hosty|
|2015||Addicted to Fresno||Edwin|
|2015||Digging for Fire||Bob|
|2016||The 5th Wave||Oliver Sullivan|
|2017||Tully||Drew Moreau||In post-production|
|1995||JAG||Corporal David Anderson||Episode: "Scimitar"|
|1997||Timecop||Elliott Ness||Episode: "Public Enemy"|
|1997||Players||Jordan||Episode: "Con Law"|
|1998||That's Life||Mitch||Main cast; 5 episodes|
|2000||Then Came You||Max||Episode: "Then Came Cousin Aidan"|
|2001||Band of Brothers||Captain Lewis Nixon||Miniseries (10 episodes)
Nominated – Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
|2001–2002||The Practice||A.D.A. Alan Lowe||Main cast (season 6); 8 episodes|
|2002–2003||Sex and the City||Jack Berger||8 episodes|
|2003||44 Minutes: The North Hollywood Shoot-Out||Donnie Anderson||Movie|
|2005–2007||American Dad!||Bob Memari (voice)||3 episodes|
|2005||House||Dr. Sebastian Charles||Episode: "TB or Not TB"|
|2006||Brothers in Arms: The Untold Story of the 502||Himself||Narrator; History Channel documentary|
|2006||Family Guy||Video Store Clerk (voice)||Episode: "Stewie B. Goode"|
|2006||Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King||Howard Fornoy||Episode: "The End of the Whole Mess"|
|2006–2007||Standoff||Matt Flannery||Main cast (18 episodes)|
|2009||Defying Gravity||Maddux Donner||Main cast (13 episodes)|
|2009||WWII in HD||Charles Scheffel (voice)||5 episodes|
|2010||WWII Lost Films||Charles Scheffel (voice)|
|2012||Game Change||Mark Wallace||Movie|
|2013||Boardwalk Empire||Roy Phillips||Main cast (season 4); 6 episodes|
|2015||We Hate Paul Revere||Paul Revere|
|2015||Saints & Strangers||John Carver||TV miniseries|
|2016||Search Party||Keith||4 episodes|
- "Today in History". Boston.com. The Associated Press. June 5, 2012. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- "Ron Livingston Biography (1968–)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "Ron Livingston Marries Former Costar". Us Weekly. November 12, 2009. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- "Iowa briefs (third item)". Telegraph - Herald (Dubuque). Associated Press. September 11, 2001. Retrieved October 24, 2013 – via HighBeam Research.
[Ron] Livingston, 34, grew up in Marion where his parents, Kurt and Linda Livingston, still live. His route to Hollywood went from Marion High School to Yale, where he studied English and theater.(subscription required)
- "'Practice' makes perfect : Ron Livingston joins top-rated ABC law team". The Washington Times. September 25, 2001. Retrieved October 25, 2013 – via Newsbank.(subscription required)
- "Remembering Rinas - Marion Times - Online at". Mariontoday.org. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Ron Livingston speaks about Theatre Cedar Rapids". YouTube. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Lewinski, John (October 22, 2009). "Set visits reveal ghosts of Defying Gravity set destruction". TVSquad. Retrieved October 22, 2009.
- Siegel, Tatiana (October 25, 2009). "'Dinner' for Ron Livingston". Variety.
- Hibberd, James (February 26, 2013). "Ron Livingston joins 'Boardwalk Empire' season 4 | Inside TV | EW.com". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Drinking Buddies". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved November 2, 2013.
- "Rosemarie DeWitt : News". People.com. Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- Kappes, Serena (July 19, 2006). "Celeb Spotlight: Ron Livingston – Ron Livingston". People.com. Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- "Ron Livingston and Rosemarie DeWitt Welcome Daughter Gracie James" May 23, 2013, People Magazine Online
- Juneau, Jen (December 15, 2016). "http://people.com/babies/rosemarie-dewitt-adopts-daughter-esperanza-mae/". People. Retrieved January 10, 2017. External link in
- Johnson, Zach (December 15, 2016). "Rosemarie DeWitt and Ron Livingston Adopt Daughter Esperanza Mae". E! News. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- "Ron Livingston Joins AMC Pilot 'We Hate Paul Revere'". Deadline.com. July 29, 2014. Retrieved July 29, 2014.