This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mael onstage with FFS, 2015
|Birth name||Ronald David Mael|
|Born||August 12, 1945|
Culver City, California, U.S.
Ronald David Mael was born on August 12, 1945, in Culver City, California. The Mael brothers grew up in Pacific Palisades – an affluent beach suburb of Los Angeles – with their father, Meyer Mael (of Russian and Austrian Jewish descent), who was a graphic designer and caricaturist for the Hollywood Citizen-News, and their mother, Miriam (née Moskowitz), a librarian. After being educated at Palisades High School, both brothers enrolled at the UCLA; Ron began a course in Cinema and Graphic Arts in 1963 while Russell studied Theater Arts and Filmmaking between 1966–1968.
Ron Mael plays the keyboards and synthesizers and writes most of the songs for Sparks. When the band hit the peak of its popularity in the 1970s, he was well known for his strange appearance, often remaining motionless over his keyboard in sharp contrast to Russell's animated and hyperactive frontman antics. Ron's conservative clothes and unfashionable, Charlie Chaplin-esque toothbrush moustache attracted much attention, as does his current pencil moustache. Onstage, Ron alternates between playing the keyboard and engaging in comic mime routines, often in connection with projections on backdrop.
In June 2018, Edgar Wright announced he is making a documentary on the cult pop-rock band Sparks. He had covered the band’s concert in London in May at O2 Forum Kentish Town. This concert will also be a part of the documentary.
In 2017, a reviewer noted that while the brothers' biographies recount an LA childhood in which they surfed and were both models for mail order catalogues, their private lives are otherwise almost entirely unknown. “Well, we’re in good company with Bob Dylan,” was their reported response. "We feel the less you do know, it keeps the mythology and the image in a better position.” Even to the question of whether they have partners or spouses, they refused to give an indication, insisting that “the vagueness is more interesting than the reality.” 
|1973||A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing|
|1974||Kimono My House|
|1979||No. 1 in Heaven|
|1981||Whomp That Sucker|
|1982||Angst in My Pants|
|1983||In Outer Space|
|1984||Pulling Rabbits Out of a Hat|
|1986||Music That You Can Dance To|
|1994||Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins|
|2006||Hello Young Lovers|
|2008||Exotic Creatures of the Deep|
|2009||The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman|
- California Birth Index, 1905 – 1995,  (Birth Date: December 8, 1945, County of Birth: Los Angeles, Mother's Maiden Name: Moskowski)
- Family Tree Legends
- Ron Mael on IMDb
- Strong, Martin Charles (November 1, 2002). The Great Rock Discography. The National Academies. pp. 214–?. ISBN 9781841953120. Retrieved June 1, 2012.
- "1940 United States Federal Census". Ancestry.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Axelrod, Merry Anne. "Re: (It's A Samuel) Mael World". Genealogy.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012. [The author is a cousin of Russell and Ron; her father, Alvin, is listed as being Meyer's brother on the 1940 census]
- "Myer Mael: "Roy Rogers" Object Record". Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Harrietta Hughes on the cover of Republic Insider Magazine 1947". Flickr.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Lorente-Darracq, Xavier. "Ron Mael and Russell Mael – Biography". Graphik Designs. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Welch, Chris. "Bright Sparks". Melody Maker. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Lorente-Darracq, Xavier. "op. cit". Graphik Designs. Missing or empty
- "Edgar Wright to Tackle 70s Cult Band "Sparks" in New Documentary". Collider. 2018-06-21. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- "Edgar Wright's Next Film is Pop-Rock Documentary About Sparks". ComingSoon.net. 2018-06-21. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- Sharf, Zack (2018-06-21). "Edgar Wright's Next Film Is a Documentary on Cult Pop-Rock Band Sparks — Exclusive". IndieWire. Retrieved 2018-06-22.
- Independent interview