Ron Martin (businessman)
|Occupation||Chief Executive of Martin Dawn PLC and Chairman of Southend United FC|
Ronald "Ron" Martin (born 1953) is a British businessman, Chief Executive of Martin Dawn PLC, a United Kingdom based property development company. He is also the current chairman of Southend United Football Club.
"Martin Dawn PLC" and "Delancey Estates" together forming "South Eastern Leisure (SEL)" took control of Southend United in November 1998, from former chairman Vic Jobson, who at the time owned a 55% issued share capital of the business. John Main took over Vic Jobson as Southend United chairman, and later in 2000 majority ownership of the club was gained by Ron Martin.
Martin's development company 'Martin Dawn PLC' took control of Southend United in late 1998. Martin brought out the charges over Roots Hall from Lloyds Banking Group in 1998 for £4m, clearing the club's debts.
Southend United Financial Troubles
In November 2009, Ron Martin avoided Southend United going into administration by agreeing to settle a £2.1million tax bill by 6 November. Ron Martin has blamed the size of their debts on their relegation from the Championship in 2007 and their proposed move away from their current home at Roots Hall.
- Search Results
- Southend soap opera may have sad ending - Football League - Football - The Independent
- Newsquest - Home
- Did southend chairman ron martin compete in athletics and toboggan – kgb answers
- Ron set for full control of Southend (From Echo)
- Soccer: Southend to sell Roots Hall (From Echo)
- BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | S | Southend | Administration looms for Southend