Ron McClure at Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society, Half Moon Bay, California, June 21, 1987
November 22, 1941|
New Haven, Connecticut, U.S.
|Genres||Jazz, jazz rock|
|Labels||Bellaphon, Ken, Steeplechase|
|Associated acts||Blood, Sweat & Tears|
Ron McClure (born November 22, 1941) is a jazz bassist
McClure was born in New Haven, Connecticut. He started on piano at age five, and later played accordion and bass. McClure studied privately with Joseph Iadone and, later, with Hall Overton and Don Sebesky. McClure attended the Hartt School of Music, graduating in 1963.
Later life and career
McClure worked in the Buddy Rich Sextet in 1963. He then joined Maynard Ferguson's big band and, afterwards, Herbie Mann in 1964; and then assumed the bass chair in the Wynton Kelly Trio vacated by Paul Chambers in 1965 (playing behind guitarist Wes Montgomery).
In 1970, with pianist-composer Mike Nock, drummer Eddie Marshall and violinist Michael White, he co-founded the jazz-rock group The Fourth Way. He also participated in Carla Bley's album Escalator over the Hill and worked with saxophonist Joe Henderson.
In the 1980s, he joined Quest, led by saxophonist Dave Liebman, which also included drummer Billy Hart and pianist Richie Beirach. He also recorded a duo album with pianist Michel Petrucciani. McClure's major engagements in the 1990s through the early 2000s were with Lee Konitz, and then with the reassembled Quest.
- McJolt (SteepleChase, 1990)
- Never Forget (SteepleChase, 1991)
- Tonite Only (SteepleChase, 1991)
- Sunburst (SteepleChase, 1992)
- Inner Account (SteepleChase, 1993)
- Never Always (SteepleChase, 1995)
- Concrete Canyon (SteepleChase, 1996)
- Closer to Your Tears (SteepleChase, 1997)
- Pink Cloud (Naxos Jazz, 1997)
- Dream Team (SteepleChase, 1998)
- Double Triangle (Naxos Jazz, 1999)
- Soft Hands (SteepleChase, 2006)
- New Moon (SteepleChase, 2009)
- Mac Straight Ahead (American Showplace, 2010)
- Dedication (Steeplechase, 2011)
- Crunch Time (Steeplechase, 2012)
- Hello Stars (Audio & Video Labs, 2016)
With Burak Bedikyan
- Leap of Faith (SteepleChase)
With Carla Bley
With Paul Bley
- The Nearness of You (SteepleChase, 1989)
With George Cables
- Quiet Fire (SteepleChase, 1994)
With Stanley Cowell
- Sienna (SteepleChase, 1989)
- With Don Friedman
- Almost Everything (SteepleChase, 1995)
With Joe Henderson
With Lee Konitz
With David Liebman
With Charles Lloyd
- Love-In (Atlantic, 1967)
- Journey Within (Atlantic, 1967)
- Charles Lloyd in the Soviet Union (Atlantic, 1967)
- Soundtrack (Atlantic, 1968)
With Michel Petrucciani
- Cold Blues (OWL, 1985)
With Julian Priester
- Love, Love (ECM, 1973)
With George Russell
- Live in an American Time Spiral (Soul Note, 1983)
With Jarmo Savolainen
- First Sight (Timeless, 1992)
- True Image (A-Records, 1995)
- Efman, Donald (2010-02-11). "Ron McClure: Lookout Farms and New Moons". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- May, Chris (2008-08-18). "Dream Weaver - The Charles Lloyd Anthology - The Atlantic Years 1966-1969". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-06-26.
- Kelman, John (2007-04-13). "Redemption - Quest Live in Europe". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-06-26.