|Derivation||regin + valdr|
|Meaning||"advice", "decision" + "ruler"|
|Pet form(s)||Roni and Ronnie|
|Related names||Raghnall, Ronalda, Rhona|
Ronald (//) is a masculine given name derived from the Old Norse Rögnvaldr. In some cases Ronald is an Anglicised form of the Gaelic Raghnall, a name likewise derived from Rögnvaldr. The latter name is composed of the Old Norse elements regin ("advice", "decision") and valdr ("ruler"). Ronald was originally used in England and Scotland, where Scandinavian influences were once substantial, although now the name is common throughout the English-speaking world. A short form of Ronald is Ron. Pet forms of Ronald include Roni, and Ronnie. A feminine form of Ronald is Ronalda. Rhona, a modern name apparently only dating back to the late nineteenth century, may have originated as a feminine form of Ronald.
People with the name
- Ronald I of Buganda
- Ronald Alcock (died 1991), British stamp dealer and philatelic speaker
- Ronalds Arājs, Latvian athlete
- Ronald Bandell (1946-2015), Dutch mayor
- Ronnie Barker (1929-2005), British comedian, known as one half of The Two Ronnies
- Ronnie Biggs, British train robber
- Ronnie Burns (actor), part-time actor best noted as the adopted son of George Burns and Gracie Allen
- Ronnie Burns (Australian), Australian singer
- Ronnie Burns (footballer), former Australian rules footballer with the Geelong and Adelaide Football Clubs
- Ronald Castree, British child murderer
- Ronald Cerritos, Salvadoran footballer
- Ronald Cheng, Hong Kong pop star and movie actor
- Ronalds Cinks, Latvian ice hockey player
- Ronald Colman, English actor
- Ronnie Corbett, British comedian, known for his role as the other half of The Two Ronnies
- Ronald de Boer, Dutch football (soccer) player
- Ron Dennis, British businessman
- Ronnie James Dio (1942-2010), American singer for Elf, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Dio, and Heaven and Hell
- Ronnie Drew, Irish singer and a founding member of The Dubliners
- Ronnie Dunn, American singer, one half of Brooks & Dunn
- Ronald Ferguson, father of Sarah, Duchess of York
- Ronald Ferguson (economist), American researcher of the racial education achievement gap
- Ronald Florijn, Dutch rower
- Ronald J. Garan, Jr., American astronaut
- Ronald Girones, Cuban judoka
- Ronald Gora, American swimmer
- Ronald Max Hartwell, Australian historian
- Ronald Harvey (cricketer), English cricketer
- Ronald A. Heifetz, cofounder of the Center for Public Leadership at John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- Ronald Herd, American professional wrestler
- Ronald K. Hoeflin, American philosopher
- Ronald Holassie, Trinidad and Tobago long-distance runner
- Ronald Isley, R&B singer
- Ronald Janssen, Belgian serial killer
- Ron Jones (athlete), British track and field athlete
- Ronald Joseph, American figure skater
- Ronalds Ķēniņš, Latvian ice hockey player
- Ronald Klink, Democratic politician and former United States Representative from Pennsylvania
- Ronald Koeman, Dutch football (soccer) player and coach
- Ronald Kray (1933-1995), British murderer
- Ron LeFlore (athlete), Detroit Tigers
- Ronald Lanzoni, Costa Rican long-distance runner
- Ronald Méndez, Venezuelan volleyball player
- Ronnie Milsap, American singer
- Ronald D. Moore, American screenwriter and television producer
- David Ronald Musgrove, Democratic politician and former governor of Mississippi, better known as "Ronnie Musgrove"
- Ronnie O'Sullivan, British snooker player
- Ron Paul, Texan congressman
- Ronnie Peterson (1944-1978), Swedish racing driver
- Ronald Reagan (1911-2004), 40th President of the United States
- Ronald Reid-Daly (1928-2010), Rhodesian military commander
- Ronald Scobie (1893-1969), British Army officer
- Ronald Scott, lead singer of AC/DC from 1974-1980
- Ronald Schill, German judge and politician
- Ronald L. Schlicher, American diplomat
- Ronald Alan Schulz (1965-2005), American civilian contract worker killed in Iraq
- Ronnie Schneider, American Rock and roll manager
- Ronald Searle (1920-2011), British cartoonist
- Ronald Stretton, British track cyclist
- Ronald van Raak (born 1969), Dutch politician
- Ronnie Vannucci, Jr., American musician and member of The Killers
- Ronald Venetiaan, former president of Suriname
- Ron Vlaar, Dutch football (soccer) player
- Ronald Washington (born 1952), American baseball player and manager
- Ron Wear (born 1979), Canadian actor
- Ronnie Wood, British rock musician (The Rolling Stones), and artist
- Ronnie Wood British Ice Hockey player (born 1960)
- Ronalds Žagars, Latvian former football goalkeeper
- Ronald Zoodsma (born 1966), Dutch volleyball player
Fictional people with the name
- Ronald McDonald, mascot of McDonald's
- Ronald Weasley, a main character from Harry Potter, best friend of Harry Potter, married to Hermione Granger.
- Ron Stoppable, Kim Possible's sidekick from Disney animated series Kim Possible
- Ron Swanson, the mustachioed libertarian director of the eponymous department in the sitcom Parks and Recreation.
- Ron Burgundy, lead character of the films Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
- Ronnie Dobbs, lead character of the film Run Ronnie Run also featured in various sketches on the HBO sketch comedy series Mr Show
Ronnie Matthews was a musician in an episode of Nickelodeon's TV show "Hey Arnold!"
- Jones (1986) p. 427.
- Hanks; Hardcastle; Hodges (2006) p. 234; Hanks; Hodges (2003) § Ronald.
- Hanks; Hardcastle; Hodges 2006 p. 407; Hanks; Hodges (2003) § Raghnall.
- Hanks; Hardcastle; Hodges (2006) pp. 234, 407; Hanks; Hodges (2003) §§ Raghnall, Ragnvald.
- Hanks; Hardcastle; Hodges (2006) p. 234.
- Hanks; Hodges (2003) § Ronald.
- Hanks; Hardcastle; Hodges (2006) pp. 230, 408; Hanks; Hodges (2003) § Rhona.
- Hanks, P; Hodges, F (2003). A Dictionary of First Names (MOBI). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0198606052.
- Hanks, P; Hardcastle, K; Hodges, F (2006) . A Dictionary of First Names. Oxford Paperback Reference (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1.
- Jones, D; Gimson, AC (1986) . Everyman's English Pronouncing Dictionary (14th ed.). J.M. Dent & Sons. OL 4296804M – via Open Library.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|