Ronald Lampman Watts
|Ronald Lampman Watts|
March 10, 1929|
|Died||October 9, 2015
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
|Alma mater||University of Toronto
|Awards||Order of Canada|
Born in Karuizawa, Japan to Canadian missionary parents, he received his Bachelor of Arts from Trinity College in the University of Toronto in 1952, and then went to Oriel College, Oxford University on a Rhodes Scholarship where he had Kenneth Wheare as his mentor. He was a Brother of the Toronto Chapter of the Alpha Delta Phi. He received a BA at Oxford in 1954, an MA in 1959, and a D. Phil. in 1962. He joined Queen's as a lecturer in Philosophy in 1955, transferred to the Department of Political and Economic Science in 1961, became the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science in 1969, and principal in 1974. From 1988 to 1993 he was the Director of the Queen's University Institute of Intergovernmental Relations.
In 1979 he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada, and was promoted to Companion in 2000.
- Watts, Ronald L.: Comparing Federal Systems. Queen's Policy Studies Series. Third edition, McGill-Queen's University Press 2008.
- Blindenbacher, R. and Watts, R.: Federalism in a Changing World – A Conceptual Framework for the Conference. In: Blindenbacher, R. and Koller, A.: Federalism in a Changing World – Learning from Each Other. McGill-Queens University Press 2003.
- "Statement from Principal Woolf on the passing of Principal Emeritus Watts". queensu.ca.
- iXore. "Ronald Watts". lenecrologue.com.
- "Ronald Lampman Watts". Queen's University. Retrieved March 14, 2005.
- "Statement from Principal Woolf on the passing of Principal Emeritus Watts". Queen's University. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
John James Deutsch
|Principal of Queen's University
David Chadwick Smith