||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ronald Prescott Loui is an American computer scientist and philosopher identified as "Frederick" in U.S. President Barack Obama's Dreams From My Father memoir, the first classmate the ten-year-old Obama meets at Punahou School. Loui appears in Obama biographies, national and international newspaper articles, in online columns, in a film documentary, on NPR and on Fox TV news. In cartoon form, he appears as Obama's childhood sidekick in the comic biography by Jeff Mariotte. Loui is the first friend named and quoted by Obama in his memoir. In a radio interview, Loui explained that his brother Terrence was really the first person who welcomed Obama and his grandfather to Punahou (so the character in the memoir is a composite of two people).
He was co-patentor of a deep packet inspection hardware device that could read and edit the contents of packets as they stream through a network. This was a key technology sought by the DARPA Information Awareness Office and Disruptive Technology Office. Loui also consulted on Cyc, a famous Artificial Intelligence program devised by Doug Lenat.
Loui organized the first Harvard internet alumni club and built a citation-based search engine (for legal opinions) in the early 1990s.
A graduate of Harvard with a senior thesis that shared the ACM national prize for best undergraduate paper in computing, he earned his Ph.D. under Henry E. Kyburg, and spent postdoctoral time at Stanford under Patrick Suppes and Amos Tversky.
Professor Loui supervised students in a model National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates program that included several current professors of computing, and the author of the original Google search engine.
- Yes We Can: A biography of President Barack Obama by Garen Thomas
- Telling Tales From President Obama's High School Days
- “I Know Obama” Anecdote #3
- Matt Roper. "Barack Obama exclusive: Where are his school classmates now?". mirror.co.uk. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- Cardwell, Jewell (December 12, 2008). "Ohio.com – Cardwell: Schoolmates in N.E. Ohio recall Obama as class act". Google.com. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- "Barry Obama e la classe del '72 – Corriere della Sera". Corriere.it. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- Gloria Borland trailer for Obama: Made in Hawaii, see youtube.com
- 10/5/2007 Betsey Bruce interview.
- "Dueling Software – Computers That Argue". Scienceagogo.com. June 28, 2001. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- "Handbook of Philosophical Logic 2 – Logics for Defeasible Argumentation – Prakken&Vreeswijk". Scribd.com. October 16, 2009. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- "June 2005 Archives". logicandlanguage.net. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- "Methods, systems, and devices using reprogrammable hardware for high-speed processing of streaming data to find a redefinable pattern and respond thereto – US Patent 7093023 Abstract". Patentstorm.us. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- "Professor Loui's Home Page at Washington University in St. Louis". Retrieved February 23, 2012.
- "Computer implemented method for finding optimal path from source to destination – Patent EP1895720". Freepatentsonline.com. August 21, 2007. Retrieved March 16, 2011.
- with Jeff Eppinger, http://www.sigmod.org/dblp/db/journals/cacm/cacm26.html