Ronald P. Rapini
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ronald P. Rapini, M.D., is an American dermatologist and dermatopathologist. He is the Josey Professor and Chair of the Department of Dermatology at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and MD Anderson Cancer Center.
He received his medical degree from Ohio State University and did residencies at the University of Wisconsin and the University of Iowa, as well as a fellowship at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center.
As department chair he has led the program into several top rankings, including the title Clinical Center of Excellence. A number of his trainees went on to national recognition including receiving the AMA Foundation Leadership Award.
He has served as the president of the American Board of Dermatology, the American Society of Dermatopathology, the American Society for Mohs Surgery and the Texas Dermatological Society. Several society awards have recognized his work.
He is the author of the textbook Practical Dermatopathology (2005, Mosby) and co-author of the two-volume Dermatology (2nd. ed 2007, Mosby). The two-volume Dermatology is a primary clinical and training textbook used in most dermatology training programs and dermatology clinics across the United States. The book is acclaimed and the first edition went out of print early in its release. He has also authored 3 chapters for emedicine.
Among his clinical achievements, he described the first case of Swimmers itch to occur in exposed skin and described the first case of herpetic paronychia occurring in an atopic patient while on isotretinoin therapy for acne. He confirmed that the incidence of epidermolytic hyperkeratosis is higher in association with dysplastic nevi than in ordinary melanocytic nevi and may serve as a marker for NAD.
- Ronald P. Rapini M.D.: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg
- [ University of Texas at Houston Medical Center - Department of Dermatology - Ronald P. Rapini
- Source: (2004-03-28). "Manage Account - ModernMedicine". Dermatologytimes.modernmedicine.com. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "Ronald P. Rapini, MD, FAAD, Joins Board of Directors of the American Academy of Dermatology". Aad.org. Archived from the original on 2010-07-06. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- "The American Society of Dermatopathology | Walter R. Nickel Award". ASDP. Archived from the original on 2010-12-03. Retrieved 2011-01-02.
- Dermatology, 2nd Edition - 2-Volume Set. Dermatology-s10.cdlib.org (2009-01-01). Retrieved on 2009-02-02.
- Multicentric Reticulohistiocytosis at eMedicine
- Fire Ant Bites at eMedicine
- Spitz Nevus at eMedicine
- Tremaine AM, Whittemore DE, Gewirtzman AJ, et al. (January 2009). "An unusual case of swimmer's itch". Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 60 (1): 174–6. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2008.07.060. PMID 19103378.
- Conlin PA, Rapini RP (February 2002). "Epidermolytic hyperkeratosis associated with melanocytic nevi: a report of 53 cases". The American Journal of Dermatopathology. 24 (1): 23–5. doi:10.1097/00000372-200202000-00004. PMID 11803276.