Powell at the 2010 U.S. Army All-American Bowl
|No. 59 Seattle Seahawks|
|Date of birth:||May 14, 1991|
|Place of birth:||Riverside, California|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||237 lb (108 kg)|
|High school:||Moreno Valley (CA) Rancho Verde|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 5 / Pick: 169|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 14, 2016|
Ronald Powell (born May 14, 1991) is an American football outside linebacker for the Seattle Seahawks of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Saints in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at University of Florida.
High school career
A native of Moreno Valley, California, Powell attended Rancho Verde High School, where he played defensive end, linebacker and tight end. In his senior season, he totaled over 80 tackles, 13 sacks, 28 tackles for losses on defense, while averaging over 15 yards per catch on offense. He was named a High School All-American by USA Today, Parade, and EA Sports. He was selected to play in the 2010 U.S. Army All-American Bowl, where he was voted MVP.
Powell accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he was a member of coach Urban Meyer and coach Will Muschamp's Florida Gators football teams from 2010 to 2013. As a freshman in 2010, he played in 13 games and made one start. In his sophomore year, he became a regular starter for the Gators, playing and starting in 12 games. In an injury-plagued junior year, he tore his left ACL two different times, first in the spring Orange and Blue game, and again during rehab. For the 2012 season, he earned a medical redshirt. In 2013, Powell played in 11 games and started in eight.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in||237 lb||32 1⁄2 in||9 3⁄8 in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
New Orleans Saints
Powell was listed as the 15th ranked OLB and projected to be a 5th round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. The New Orleans Saints drafted Powell in pick 196 in round 5. He played in 14 games during the 2014 season. The Saints released him on September 1, 2015; after he cleared waivers, he was placed on the Saints' injured reserve list.
On September 21, 2016, Powell was signed to the Bears' practice squad.
On December 13, 2016, Powell was signed by the Seahawks off the Bears' practice squad.
- "The Rivals 100: 2010 Prospect Ranking". Rivals.com. January 14, 2010.
- "NFL Draft - 2014 DE Draft Prospects". CBSSports.com. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- Kristian Garic, "Saints release WR Nick Toon amid other cuts", WWL (AM), September 1, 2015.
- Joel A. Erickson, "Nick Toon, Vinnie Sunseri, Ronald Powell clear waivers, placed on injured reserve", The Advocate, September 2, 2015.
- Mayer, Larry. "Mostert elevated from practice squad". ChicagoBears.com.
- Drovetto, Tony (December 13, 2016). "Seahawks Sign RB Kelvin Taylor, LB Ronald Powell; Place RB Troymaine Pope, FB Will Tukuafu On Injured Reserve". Seahawks.com.