Torreyes batting for the New York Yankees in 2016
|Born: September 2, 1992|
Barinas, Barinas, Venezuela
|September 13, 2015, for the Los Angeles Dodgers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Runs batted in||56|
Ronald Alcides Torreyes (born September 2, 1992) is a Venezuelan professional baseball infielder for the Minnesota Twins of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Yankees.
Torreyes signed with the Cincinnati Reds as an international free agent in February 2010. He was assigned to the Venezuelan Summer League Reds, and later promoted to the Arizona League Reds and the Class-A Dayton Dragons. In 91 total games, Torreyes batted .370 with five home runs, 46 runs batted in (RBIs), and 25 stolen bases. He played the entire 2011 season in Dayton, batting .356 with three home runs and 41 RBIs in 67 games. On December 11, 2011, Torreyes was traded to the Chicago Cubs, along with Dave Sappelt and Travis Wood, for Sean Marshall. In 2012, Torreyes played with the Advanced-A Daytona Cubs, and hit .264 with six home runs and 47 RBIs. In 2013, Torreyes was promoted to the Double-A Tennessee Smokies.
The Cubs traded Torreyes to the Houston Astros on July 2, 2013, for two international signing bonus slots. The Astros assigned him to their Double-A affiliate, the Corpus Christi Hooks. In 103 games between both franchises, Torreyes batted .269 with two home runs and 37 RBIs. He played the entire 2014 season with the Triple-A Oklahoma City RedHawks, batting .298 with two home runs and 46 RBIs in a career-high 126 games played.
Torreyes began the 2015 season with the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies, appearing in 19 games and hitting .200 with five RBIs. On May 15, 2015, the Astros traded Torreyes to the Toronto Blue Jays for cash considerations or a player to be named later, and assigned to the Double-A New Hampshire Fisher Cats.
Los Angeles Dodgers
On June 12, 2015, he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers in exchange for cash considerations and assigned to the Double-A Tulsa Drillers. He played in 62 games for Tulsa, hitting .293 before a late season promotion to the AAA Oklahoma City Dodgers. On September 12, he was called up to the majors for the first time. He was used sparingly during his month with the club, collecting two hits in eight at-bats, while being used primarily as a late inning defensive replacement and occasional pinch runner. He was designated for assignment by the Dodgers on January 7, 2016.
New York Yankees
On January 12, 2016, the Dodgers traded Torreyes and Tyler Olson to the New York Yankees in exchange for minor leaguer Rob Segedin and a player to be named later or cash considerations. The Yankees designated him for assignment on January 15, when they acquired Lane Adams. On January 25, he was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, who then also designated him for assignment, on January 27. He was reclaimed off waivers by the Yankees on February 1. After spring training, it was announced that Torreyes had made the major league roster.  Torreyes had a 2-RBI triple in his Yankee debut on April 6, 2016, against the Houston Astros. Torreyes hit his first career home run on August 19, 2016 against Jered Weaver of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Torreyes split most of the season between the Yankees and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes Barre, playing 41 games with the Yankees and 30 with the Yankees AAA team.. On November 26, 2018, he was designated for assignment. Two days later, the Yankees traded Torreyes to the Chicago Cubs for a player to be named later or cash considerations. However, the Cubs chose not to tender him a contract offer and he became a free agent.
- "Energetic Torreyes stands tall despite his slight build". Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Ronald Torreyes Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- "Sean Marshall trade to Reds official". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Astros acquire infielder Torreyes from Cubs". Major League Baseball. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Blue Jays acquire shortstop Torreyes from Astros". Sportsnet. May 15, 2015. Retrieved May 15, 2015.
- Gurnick, Ken (June 12, 2015). "Dodgers acquire Torreyes, designate Barney". MLB.com. Retrieved January 18, 2016.
- Hoornstra, J.P. (June 12, 2015). "Dodgers acquire minor-league infielder Ronald Torreyes, designate Darwin Barney". LA Daily News. Retrieved June 12, 2015.
- "Dodgers Recall Ronald Torreyes". MLB.com. September 12, 2015. Retrieved January 18, 2016.
- "Ronald Torreyes 2015 Batting Gamelogs". Baseball Reference. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- "Yankees send N.J. native to Los Angeles Dodgers for 2 players in trade". NJ.com. January 12, 2016. Retrieved January 18, 2016.
- Rieber, Anthony (January 12, 2016). "Yankees acquire pitcher Tyler Olson, infielder Ronald Torreyes". Newsday. Retrieved January 12, 2016.
- Gurnick, Ken (January 12, 2016). "Dodgers acquire Minors IF Segedin from Yanks". MLB.com. Retrieved January 18, 2016.
- "Yankees claim OF Lane Adams off waivers". YES Network. January 15, 2016. Retrieved January 18, 2016.
- Fletcher, Jeff (January 25, 2016). "Angels claim IF Ronald Torreyes on waivers". Orange County Register. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Fletcher, Jeff (January 27, 2016). "Angels get infielder Jefry Marte from Tigers for Kody Eaves". Orange County Register. Retrieved January 27, 2016.
- Hatch, Ryan (February 1, 2016). "He's back! Yankees sign prospect Ronald Torreyes (again)". New Jersey.com. Retrieved February 2, 2016.
- "Ronald Torreyes beats out Pete Kozma for final bench spot - River Avenue Blues". Riveraveblues.com. March 30, 2016. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- King, George A. (March 30, 2017). "Didi Gregorius' replacement can't wait for him to return". Nypost.com. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- Joyce, Greg (May 26, 2018). "Greg Bird's activation forced Yankees' tough call on Torreyes". Nypost.com. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- Fischer, Mark. "Yankees drop fan favorite to make room for pitcher Parker Bridwell - NY Daily News". nydailynews.com. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Dept, Yankees PR (November 28, 2018). "Earlier today, the Yankees traded INF Ronald Torreyes to the Chicago Cubs in exchange for a player to be named later or cash consideration". Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- "Cubs tender contract to suspended SS Russell". ESPN.com. November 30, 2018. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Bollinger, Rhett (December 6, 2018). "Twins sign middle infielders Schoop, Torreyes". MLB.com. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ronald Torreyes.|