He was professor of modern History at University College Dublin and director of archives at the School of History and Archives (University College Dublin). A member of the Royal Irish Academy, he was a member of the board of the Directory of Irish Biography and the Documents on Irish Foreign Policy. He was also a regular political, historical and current affairs columnist at the Sunday Independent.
Fanning died on 18 January 2017. He was 75.
- Documents on Irish Foreign Policy by Catriona Crowe, Ronan Fanning, Michael Kennedy, Dermot Keogh, Eunan O'Halpin. Royal Irish Academy, ISBN 1-904890-03-2 (1-904890-03-2)
- Independent Ireland, Educational Company of Ireland, The, ISBN 0-86167-301-8 (0-86167-301-8)
- The Irish Department of Finance, (1922-58) by Ronan Fanning, Institute of Public Administration (Ireland) Staff Hardcover, Institute of Public Administration, ISBN 0-902173-82-0 (0-902173-82-0)
- Religion and Rebellion by Judith Devlin, Ronan Fanning, University College Dublin Press, ISBN 1-900621-03-7 (1-900621-03-7)
- The Lives of Eliza Lynch by Michael Lillis and Ronan Fanning, Gill and Macmillan (September 2009).
- "Obituary: Ronan Fanning". The Irish Times. 21 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Donnelly, Katherine (19 January 2017). "President: professor left a rich legacy of research". Irish Independent. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
President Michael D Higgins led the tributes to the noted historian, Professor Ronan Fanning, who died yesterday.
- http://dib.cambridge.org/tab.do?tab=aboutDIB About the Directory of irish Biography
- http://www.difp.ie/editors/ Editors of the Dictionary on Irish Policy
- "'Brilliant teacher' and historian Ronan Fanning dies". The Irish Times. Retrieved 2017-01-18.