Roncalli High School (Indiana)
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Roncalli High School|
3300 Prague Road
|Motto||The Life Prep School|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Oversight||Archdiocese of Indianapolis|
|President||Joseph D. Hollowell|
|Average class size||22|
|Fight song||Rebel Fight Song|
|Athletics conference||Circle City Conference|
|Rivals||Cathedral High School|
Franklin Central High School
Bishop Chatard High School
Roncalli High School is a Catholic high school located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is located on the south side of Indianapolis and run by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis. Roncalli is named for Pope John XXIII, Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli.
The school was established in 1969 as a result of the consolidation of two schools, Kennedy Memorial High School (opened as Sacred Heart High School in 1914 whose name was changed to Kennedy in 1966) and Chartrand High School (opened in 1962).
Roncalli was recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence as part of the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program three times: 1993, 1998, and 2003.
Roncalli offers Advanced Placement courses in: Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Computer Science Principles, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, French Language, German Language, Music Theory, Psychology, Physics C Mechanics, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. Government and Politics, and U.S. History, World History.
Roncalli also offers Dual Credit courses in Adv. English , Adv. Speech, Anatomy and Physiology, French Language, Spanish Language, U.S. History, U.S. Government, Adv. Accounting, Civil Engineering and Architecture, and Early Childhood Education.
Roncalli offers football, cross country, soccer, tennis, basketball, wrestling, bowling, swimming and diving, hockey, baseball, track and field, golf, volleyball, and lacrosse for boys. For girls there is cheerleading, cross country, golf, soccer, basketball, bowling, swimming and diving, gymnastics, softball, track and field, tennis and volleyball.
State Championships (17):
- Football (9): 1985, 1988, 1993, 1994, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2016
- Girls' Volleyball (3): 1981, 1998, 2006
- Softball (3): 1999, 2001, 2011
- Baseball (1): 2016
- Boys' Volleyball (1): 2018
- Jim Gibbons - Current CEO of Goodwill Industries
- Perry Kitchen - Current soccer player for LA Galaxy
- Nate Lawrie - Former NFL tight end for the Philadelphia Eagles, New Orleans Saints, Cincinnati Bengals and Baltimore Ravens
- Dick Nalley - Olympic bobsledder in 1980 Winter Olympics
- Kyle O'Gara - Indy Lights driver
- Jim Prestel - Former NFL defensive lineman (1960–67), class of 1955 (SHHS)
- Nick Schnell - Current MLB player on the Tampa Bay Rays
- Cole Toner - Current offensive guard for Los Angeles Chargers and 2016 NFL draft selection by the Arizona Cardinals
- IHSAA School Directory Archived 2014-08-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- "IHSAA State Championships by School". ihsaa.org. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "State Champions".
- "Roncalli Wins First Indiana State Boys Volleyball Title".
- "Goodwill CEO Jim Gibbons says his family and Roncalli roots set the foundation for his lifelong success".
- "The best American soccer player you've never heard of is from Indy".
- "NFL Bio - Nate Lawrie". NFL.com. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- "Indiana Football Hall of Fame Dick Nalley".
- "Kyle O'Gara website". kyleogara.com/. Retrieved March 15, 2016.