|Born||25 October 1944|
Haifa, Mandatory Palestine
|Occupation||Political sociologist, Writer|
|Children||Alana and Miki|
She was born in Haifa, Mandatory Palestine, in 1944, she has lived in Ireland since 1969. A political sociologist she was an Associate Professor of Sociology in Trinity College Dublin until her retirement in 2014. From 1997 until 2012 Lentin was Head of Sociology, the director of the MPhil in Race, Ethnicity, Conflict, Department of Sociology and founder member of the Trinity Immigration Initiative, Trinity College, Dublin. Lentin has published extensively on Palestine and Israel, racism and immigration in Ireland, and on gender and genocide and the Holocaust.
Lentin has advocated an open door immigration policy for Ireland and opposes all deportations. Lentin is an activist for Palestinian liberation and for the Palestinian right of return.
Books and publications
- Interviews: Conversations with Palestinian Women (Jerusalem: Mifras 1982)
- Night Train to Mother (Dublin: Attic Press 1989) ISBN 0-946211-72-8
- Songs on the Death of Children (Dublin: Poolbeg Press 1996)
- Israel and the Daughters of the Shoah: Reoccupying the Territories of Silence (Oxford and NY: Berghahn Books 2000) ISBN 1-57181-774-3
- Gender and Catastrophe(London: Zed Books 1997)Editor ISBN 1-85649-445-4
- (Re)searching Women: Feminist Research Methodologies in the Social Sciences in Ireland (Dublin: IPA 2000) co-editor, with Anne Byrne.
- Racism and Anti-racism in Ireland (Belfast: Beyond the Pale 2002) co-editor, with Robbie McVeigh, ISBN 1-900960-16-8
- Women and the Politics of Military Confrontation: Palestinian and Israeli Gendered Narratives of Dislocation (Oxford and NY: Berghahn Books 2002) co-editor, with Nahla Abdo. ISBN 1-57181-498-1
- Women’s Movement: Migrant Women Transforming Ireland(2003) co-editor, with Eithne Luibhéid.
- Re-presenting the Shoah for the 21st Century(Oxford and NY: Berghahn Books. 2004), editor.ISBN 1-57181-802-2
- After Optimism? Ireland, Racism and Globalisation (Dublin: Metroeireann Publications. 2006) with Robbie McVeigh. ISBN 0-9553385-0-6
- Race and State (Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Press. 2006) co-editor, with Alana Lentin. ISBN 1-84718-001-9
- Performing Global Networks (Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing 2007) co-editor, with Karen Fricker
- Thinking Palestine (London: Zed Books, 2008) editor
- Co-memory and Melancholia: Israelis Memorialising the Palestinian Nakba (Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2010, paperback 2014
- Migrant Activism and Integration from Below in Ireland ( Palgrave-Macmillan, 2013) co-editor, with Elena Moreo
- Traces of Racial Exception: Racializing Israeli Settler Colonialism (Bloomsbury Academic, 2018)
- Ronit Lentin website: about
- "Trinity Centre for Post-Conflict Justice Research Fellows". Trinity College. Dublin.
- Ireland: A Racist State? Interview with Ronit Lentin, Live Register TV, 2013 ( from 17 mins. in)