Ronkonkoma, New York
|Ronkonkoma, New York|
|Hamlet and census-designated place|
The former Petit Trianon on the southwest shore of Lake Ronkonkoma
U.S. Census map
|• Total||8.1 sq mi (21.1 km2)|
|• Land||7.8 sq mi (20.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||112 ft (34 m)|
|• Density||2,300/sq mi (900/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0962854|
Ronkonkoma (// rong-KONGK-ə-mə) is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) on Long Island in the Town of Islip, New York, United States. The population of the CDP was 19,082 at the 2010 census. The Ronkonkoma post office has the ZIP code of 11779, and serves parts of several hamlets and CDPs adjacent to Ronkonkoma.
Since 1988, Ronkonkoma has been the end of electrification along the Long Island Rail Road's Main Line. The track between Hicksville and Ronkonkoma has long been referred to as the Ronkonkoma Branch.
Ronkonkoma is also home to Long Island MacArthur Airport (sometimes referred to simply as Islip Airport), airport code ISP, which is owned and operated by the Town of Islip. The New York Air Route Traffic Control Center is located in Ronkonkoma.
Ronkonkoma is located at  According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.1 square miles (21.1 km2), of which 7.8 square miles (20.3 km2) is land and 0.35 square miles (0.9 km2), or 4.07%, is water. The community is adjacent to Lake Ronkonkoma.(40.813962, -73.128438).
Vitamin maker NBTY is based in Ronkonkoma.
Demographics of the CDP
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,029 people, 6,550 households, and 5,200 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,450.4 per square mile (946.5/km²). There were 6,660 housing units at an average density of 814.8/sq mi (314.7/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 93.85% White, 0.90% African American, 0.06% Native American, 2.39% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.12% from other races, and 1.64% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.34% of the population.
There were 6,550 households out of which 38.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.5% were married couples living together, 9.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.6% were non-families. 16.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.06 and the average family size was 3.43.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 25.8% under the age of 18, 7.7% from 18 to 24, 34.3% from 25 to 44, 24.7% from 45 to 64, and 7.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 97.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.1 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $87,896, and the median income for a family was $97,441 (as of a 2007 estimate). Males had a median income of $50,594 versus $35,013 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $25,152. About 2.8% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.1% of those under age 18 and 6.5% of those age 65 or over.
- Maude Adams (1872–1953), actress 
- David DeRosa (born 1973), painter
- Keith Detelj (born 1985), soccer player
- Joe Grimaldi (born 1986), ice hockey player
- Steve Hass (born 1975), musician/music producer
- Joe Jones (born 1965), basketball coach
- Moira Kelly (born 1968), actress
- Lennon Murphy (born 1982), singer-songwriter
- Joseph Raffaele, religious leader
- Scott Rudolph, entrepreneur
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ronkonkoma CDP, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved 2013-01-08.
- Cohen, Billie (Jan 31, 2008). "Long Island Rail Road From Penn Station to Ronkonkoma, N.Y". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Factfinder