||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Member of Parliament
for Blyth Valley
11 June 1987
|Preceded by||John Ryman|
14 August 1943 |
Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
|Children||6 (5 sons, 1 daughter)|
He was born in Tynemouth, and grew up with seven siblings. He attended Blyth Ridley County High School, a secondary modern, and left school at 14 to become a coal miner. Before entering parliament he was a district councillor on Blyth Valley Borough Council from 1969 and a lay official of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM). He was a miner from 1958–86. Campbell led picket lines in the 1984–85 miners' strike and was arrested twice.
He has been an MP since 1987 when he won his seat by 856 votes, and has often voted against the government on issues such as the Iraq War. He is an outspoken socialist. When the government nationalised Northern Rock in 2008, Campbell declared it "the People's Bank" and opened an account.
He is one of a handful of Labour MPs to publicly support a British exit from the European Union.
He married Deirdre McHale in 1967, who serves on Northumberland County Council. They have five sons, including a set of twins, and one daughter. Whilst serving as an MP he had a reunion with a half-brother he had not known due to the latter's adoption.
- "Signatory to letter by Catholic MPs to Pope Francis re ordination of married men". Catholic Herald. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Kelly-Jou, Mike. "North East MPs reveal their roles in the great miners' strike". North East Chronicle. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- Hoggart, Simon (19 February 2008). "A cool head in another catastrophe". Guardian. Retrieved 24 February 2008.
- Thompson, Liam. "Ronnie Campbell to repay expenses". News Post Leader. Retrieved 18 May 2009.
- Swaine, Jon (13 May 2009). "Ronnie Campbell agrees to repay £6,000 for furniture at London flat: MPs' expenses". Telegraph. Retrieved 18 May 2009.
- 36 Labour MPs nominate Jeremy Corbyn, newstatesman.com, June 2015; accessed 8 September 2015.
- "EU referendum: Full list of MPs backing a Brexit vote at the historic ballot". 2016-02-18. Retrieved 2016-07-03.
- "A tale of two brothers". Inside Out – North East and Cumbria. BBC. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Guardian Unlimited Politics – Ask Aristotle: Ronnie Campbell MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com – Ronnie Campbell MP
- The Public Whip – Ronnie Campbell MP voting record
- Meeting his unknown brother in 2006
- BBC Politics
- Northumberland County Council with £11m in Lehman Brothers in October 2008
- Hairdresser in Cumbria with the same name gets his emails in November 2003
- His son in the Royal Marines in March 2003
- Cleared of assault in May 2002
- Shoplifter given £10,000 trial over 92p tin of spaghetti bolognese in May 2002
- Suspended from the Commons in March 1998
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Blyth Valley