This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
10 February 1953 |
|Genres||Blues, rock, pop|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass guitar, piano|
|Associated acts||Flaming Youth, Phil Collins|
Ronnie Caryl (born 10 February 1953, Liverpool) is an English musician. Over the years Caryl has worked alongside Phil Collins, plus David Hentschel, Michel Polnareff, Lulu, Stephen Bishop, Eric Clapton, Gary Brooker, Maggie Bell and John Otway.
Caryl started his professional musical career in 1969 as the bassist with the rock group, Flaming Youth. In this short-lived band on drums was Caryl's friend Phil Collins, for whom Caryl was best man at his first wedding. In 1970, they both auditioned for Genesis and whilst Collins obtained the job as drummer, Caryl was unsuccessful and after a brief stint with Mick Barnard on guitar, Steve Hackett was recruited as a permanent replacement lead guitarist for Anthony Phillips.
Caryl went on to play in some other bands, including Sanctuary in 1972, with whom he recorded an unreleased album. By the following year he joined the jazz rock outfit, Zox & the Radar Boys, including Peter Banks, Mike Piggott and Phil Collins.
He moved to France in 1995 with his wife Melanie.
In 1996, Caryl became an official member of Collins's group as a backing vocalist and rhythm guitarist. As well as work with Collins, Caryl has also performed alongside David Hentschel, Michel Polnareff, Lulu, Stephen Bishop, Eric Clapton, Gary Brooker, Maggie Bell and John Otway.
Caryl has released two solo albums, Leave A Light On (1994) and One Step At A Time (2003).
- "Guide Me, Orion" - Fontana Records (1969)
- "Man, Woman and Child" - Fontana Records (1970)
- "From Now On (Immortal Invisible)" - Fontana Records (1970)
- "You Got It" - Polydor Records (1983)
- "Somewhere Within" - Full Colour Records (1994)
- Leave A Light On - Full Colour Records (1994)
- One Step At A Time - Outside Records (2003)
- 1975 : Album - David Hentschel: Startling Music
- 1975 : Album - Eugene Wallace: Dangerous
- 1977 : Single - Michel Polnareff: "Lettre A France"
- 1981 : Album - Lulu: Lulu
- 1982 : Album - Lulu: Take Me To Your Heart Again
- 1989 : Album - Stephen Bishop: Bowling in Paris
- 1996 : Album - Phil Collins: Dance into the Light
- 2004 : Album - Maggie Bell: The River Sessions (recorded live at the Pavilion in Glasgow, Scotland, on 1 November 1993)
- 2010 : Album - Phil Collins: Going Back
- 1997 : Phil Collins - Live And Loose In Paris
- 2004 : Phil Collins - Finally...The First Farewell Tour
- 2007 : Phil Collins - The Long Goodnight: A Film About Phil Collins
- 1981 / 1983 : with Lulu
- 1987 : with John Otway
- 1993 : with Maggie Bell
- 1994 / 1995 : with The Free Spirit
- 1996 : with Phil Collins - 'Dance into the Light Tour'
- 1999 : with Phil Collins - 'Tarzan Tour'
- 2002 / 2003 : with Phil Collins - 'Testify Tour'
- 2003 : with Phil Collins - 'Brother Bear Tour'
- 2004 / 2005 : with Phil Collins - 'The First Farewell Tour'
- 2017 : with Phil Collins - 'Not Dead Yet Tour'
- 1972 : Shoot Up at Elbow Creek
- 1977 : Elvis - Theatre musical
- 1986 : Tutti Frutti - BBC Television series with Emma Thompson
- 1992 / 1993 : Good Rockin' Tonight !
- "One Step At A Time - An Exclusive Interview With Ronnie Caryl". Worldofgenesis. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- Phil Collins (2013). Not Dead Yet. London, England: Century Books. p. 225. ISBN 978-1-780-89513-0.
- Phil Collins (2013). Not Dead Yet. London, England: Century Books. p. 46. ISBN 978-1-780-89513-0.
- "WorldCat: Guide Me, Orion by Flaming Youth". Worldcat.org. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Ronnie Caryl - Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-12-11.
- "Good Rockin Tonite @ ARTISTdirect.com - Shop, Listen, Download". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved 2012-12-11.