Ronnie Zabala Lazaro|
November 14, 1957
Sagay, Negros Occidental, Philippines
|Occupation||Actor, producer, casting director|
He has received many nominations throughout his career as an actor, nine of which were for Best Supporting Actor, and two for Best Actor (Ebolusyon in 2005 and Boatman in 1984). His films received recognition not only in the Philippines but also in international film festivals such as Cannes, Berlin and Hong Kong. The short film Anino (English title: Shadow), where he played the lead, received the Palme d’Or in Cannes Film Festival in 2000. He is currently working on a saga, Heremias, with Filipino director Lav Diaz, the first part of which has been shown for exhibition in the 23rd Turin Film Festival. He has also performed in several foreign projects filmed both in the Philippines and abroad.
Lazaro is also active in television and has appeared in various soap operas, such as Kamada, winner of the Dove Awards in 1997, and Anna Luna, where he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in 1990.
Lazaro was born in Negros Occidental, Philippines. His roots are in theatre: He co-directed an improvisational play entitled Pugakhang in 1979, and has toured nationwide to stage several plays including Hiblang Abo, which he co-produced.
Aside from his work as a film, theatre and television actor, Lazaro has had his share of achievements behind the camera. His art direction in Manila by Night (City after Dark) won the Best Production Design Award in 1981. A self-taught photographer, he also launched in January 2005 a photo exhibit in the Museo de la Cárcel Real in Cáceres, Spain entitled Manila en las palmas de la luz (Manila in the palms of light), which ran for two months. The same exhibit was again mounted in October 2006 in Museo Perez Commendador–Leroux, coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the said museum.
The Gawad Urian Awards named Lazaro Best Actor in 2009 for his portrayal of a troubled father in the movie Yanggaw (English title: Affliction). He clinched two nominations from this same award-giving body in 2012: he was nominated as Best Actor for the film Boundary, and for Best Supporting Actor for Manila Kingpin: The Asiong Salonga Story.
- Bakeretta (Ghost Operetta) by Chong Wishing. Translated by Liza Magtoto. Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP).
- Mass by F. Sionil Jose. Directed by Cris Millado. Adaptation by Rody Vera. CCP.
- Oraciones by Rene Villanueva, Rody Vera, Nick Pichay and Liza Magtoto. Directed by Jose Estrella. CCP.
- Pinoy Agonistes by Nick Joaquin. Directed by Nonon Padilla. CCP.
- Hiblang Abo by Rene Villanueva. Directed by Spanky Manikan and Pen Medina.
- Piglas by Mikhail Bulgakov. Translated by Onie de Leon. Directed by Nonon Padilla. CCP.
- Ulo ni Pancho Villa by Dennis Marasigan. CCP.
- Tatlong Parusa, Isang Sentensiya by Pedro Calderon de la Barca. Translated by J.B. Capino. Directed by Nonon Padilla. CCP.
- Neo Filipino (Dance Poetry). Directed by Denissa Reyes and Agnes Locsin. CCP.
- Ang Propeta (Musical). Written and directed by Paulo Mercado. Music Museum.
- Ibon sa Lawa by Anton Chekov. Translated by Jose Maria Matute. Directed by Nonon Padilla. CCP.
- And St. Louis loves dem Pilipinos by Floy Quintos. Directed by Tony Mabesa. University of the Philippines.
- Katipunan by Boni Ilagan. Directed by Tony Espejo. Philippine International Convention Center.
- Kanser by Jomar Fleras. Directed by Jun Pablo and Tony Espejo.
- San Lorenzo Ruiz. Directed by Tony Espejo.
- Martir de Golgota. Directed by Lou Veloso. Sta. Ana, Makati.
- Ang Munting Prinsipe. Adaptation of The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Directed by Tony Espejo. Metropolitan Theater.
- Bien Aliktad. Directed by Joel Lamangan. CCP.
- Sino ba kayo? Directed by Armand Sta. Ana. Intramuros.
- Kuwentong Katawa-tawa. Adaptation of a work by Armand Salacrou. Directed by Ray Ventura. Philamlife Theater.
- Esprit de Corps. Directed by Susan Ceneza. CCP.
- Inspired Madness (Dance). Directed by Peque Gallaga. CCP.
- Sa Kaluoy Sang Diyos (Skin of our Teeth). Directed by Peque Gallaga. St. Scholastica's College Manila.
- Pugakhang. Directed by Peque Gallaga and Ronnie Lazaro. University of St. La Salle, formerly La Salle College, Bacolod.
- Ang Manugpatigayon. Directed by Peque Gallaga. University of St. La Salle.
- A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. Directed by Peque Gallaga. University of St. La Salle.
- The King and I. Adaptation of the classical Rodgers and Hammerstein play. Directed by Peque Gallaga. University of St. La Salle.
- Ang Baylarina (An Ilonggo Adaptation). Directed by Manny Julian. University of St. La Salle.
- 2015 Heneral Luna
- 2012 Ang Katiwala ... Kuya Gimo
- 2012 El Presidente ... General Candido Tirona
- 2012 Pridyider
- 2012 Ang Mga Kidnapper Ni Ronnie Lazaro
- 2012 Captured
- 2011 Manila Kingpin: The Asiong Salonga Story
- 2010 Ishmael
- 2010 Amigo
- 2009 Pandemic
- 2009 Manila Skies
- 2009 Villa Estrella
- 2008 Brutus
- 2008 Love Me Again
- 2008 Affliction
- 2008 Namets!
- 2008 Ploning
- 2007 Ataul for Rent (International title: Casket for Hire)
- 2007 Tukso
- 2007 M.O.N.A.Y (Misteyks obda neyson adres Yata) ni Mr. Shooli
- 2006 Heremias (Unang aklat: Ang alamat ng prinsesang bayawak) ... Heremias
- 2006 Green Rocking Chair
- 2005 Shake, Rattle & Roll 2k5 ... Bulag (segment "Lihim ng San Joaquin")
- 2005 Maging akin muli (TV movie) ... Nonoy Cruz
- 2005 Miss Pinoy
- 2005 Lasponggols
- 2005 Baryoke
- 2005 Boso ... Imbestigador 2
- 2005 Sandalang bahay ... Mang Anong
- 2005 Ilusyon ... Pablo
- 2005 Ang anak ni Brocka
- 2004 The Echo ... Caretaker
- 2004 Panaghóy sa subâ: The Call of the River ... Kuwanggol
- 2004 Evolution of a Filipino Family ... Fernando
- 2004 Astigmatism ... Manong Gerry
- 2003 Bulong Sa Kawalan
- 2002 Au bout du rouleau (TV movie) Phan
- 2002 Timeless ... Mirdo B. Orbida
- 2002 Utang ni Tatang ... Al
- 2002 Hesus, rebolusyunaryo ... Miguel Reynante
- 2001 New Moon ... Datu Ali
- 2001 Radio ... Peter
- 2001 ID ... Rodel (pilay)
- 2000 Shadows (short) ... Photographer
- 1999 Flower of Manila ... Ed's Father
- 1999 Naked Under the Moon
- 1999 Brokedown Palace ... Security
- 1999 Yesterday Children ... Nonong
- 1998 Jose Rizal ... Don Francisco Mercado
- 1998 Curacha ang babaeng walang pahinga ... Scavenger
- 1998 Sa pusod ng dagat ... Berto
- 1997 Behind Enemy Lines ... Airport Policeman
- 1997 Damong ligaw ... Andres Bonifacio
- 1997 Ipaglaban mo II: The movie ... Albert
- 1996 Medrano
- 1995 Closer to Home ... Denied Applicant (scenes deleted)
- 1995 Costales ... Kidnapper
- 1995 Victim No. 1: Delia Maga (Jesus, Pray for Us!)
- 1994 Separada ... Hector
- 1994 Fortunes of War ... Border Patrol Lieutenant
- 1994 Lipa Arandia Massacre (Lord Deliver Us from Evil)
- 1992 Bayani
- 1992 Narito ang puso ko
- 1991 Ganti ng Api ... Conrad
- 1990 Delta Force 2: The Colombian Connection ... Quiquina's Husband
- 1989 Return from the River Kwai ... Boonrod
- 1989 Harimao
- 1987 Sweet Revenge ... Jimmy Lee
- 1986 Flesh Avenue
- 1985 Revenge for Justice ... Younger Brother
- 1985 Bilang Na Ang Oras Mo
- 1984 Batuigas II: Pasukuin si Waway ... Tosan
- 1984 Joyful Mystery
- 1984 Boatman ... Felipe
- 1982 Oro, Plata, Mata ... Hermes Mercurio
- 1978 Wake Up, Maruja ... Vergel
- 1977 Captive Virgins ... Hermes
- 2009 Ang Beerhouse (associate producer)
- 2005 Sandalang Bahay (associate producer)
- 2010 Amigo
- 1980 City After Dark
Awards and nominations
|2009||Gawad Urian||Best Actor(for Affliction 2008)||Won|
|2008||FAP Awards, Philippines||Best Supporting Actor (for Casket for Hire 2007)||Nominated|
|2005||FAP Awards, Philippines||Best Supporting Actor (for Panaghóy sa subâ: The Call of the River 2004)||Nominated|
|2005||Gawad Urian||Best Actor (for Evolution of a Filipino Family 2004)||Nominated|
|2001||Metro Manila Film Festival||Best Supporting Actor (for Bagong Buwan)||Won|
|1985||Gawad Urian||Best Actor (for Boatman 1984)||Nominated|
|1983||Gawad Urian||Best Supporting Actor (for Oro, Plata, Mata 1982)||Nominated|
- Lazaro wins Gawad after 27 years
- "Cannes Film Festival". IMDB. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Heremias". Torino Film Festival. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Ronnie Lazaro". IMDB. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Ronnie Lazaro". Amigo. Archived from the original on 14 September 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "THEATER: 1977 - 2006". Ronnie Lazaro Official Page. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Who we are". Dakila. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "City After Dark". IMDB. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "BibliotecaWeb". Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- Miguel, A. "Dos décadas llenas de arte". El Periódico. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "'Serbis,' 'Yanggaw,' 'Jay' big winners at 32rd [sic] Gawad Urian". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Jarloc, Glaiza. "Gawad Urian announces this year's nominees". Gawad Urian announces this year's nominees. Sunstar Manila. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Metro Manila Film Festival:2001". IMDB. Retrieved 2014-04-09.