|Birth name||Ronny Xin Yi Chieng|
|Born||Johor Bahru, Malaysia|
Hannah Pham (m. 2016)
Ronny Xin Yi Chieng (Chinese: 錢信伊; pinyin: Qián Xìnyī) is a Malaysian-Australian comedian and actor. Chieng is currently a senior correspondent on The Daily Show on Comedy Central and creator and star of the sitcom Ronny Chieng: International Student which premiered on the ABC (Australia) and Comedy Central Asia in 2017.
Early life and education
Chieng was born in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, to a Malaysian Chinese family, and was raised in Manchester, New Hampshire, U. S. and Singapore. Chieng was educated at Yuhua Primary School, Pioneer Secondary School, and Pioneer Junior College in Singapore, and the University of Melbourne in Australia, where he resided at Trinity College and graduated in 2009 with Bachelor of Commerce (Finance) and Bachelor of Laws degrees. He also obtained a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Australian National University in 2012.
Viral response to Fox News segment
In October 2016, Chieng appeared on The Daily Show to give his response to a Jesse Watters Fox News segment deemed by many as racist. Chieng aired an expletive-laden criticism of the conservative network's segment. He also revisited New York City's Chinatown, where Watters had mocked residents, and conducted more respectful interviews in Mandarin and Cantonese. The video went viral and received coverage in the Washington Post, Slate, and other major media.
In 2016, Chieng co-wrote and starred in the pilot of a sitcom called Ronny Chieng: International Student, based on his own experience as a Malaysian student in Australia. It was developed into a series for Comedy Central in America and ABC TV in Australia and screened in June 2017.
|2012||Problems||Mr. Meowgi||4 episodes|
|2014||This is Littleton||Various characters||4 episodes|
|2013–2014||Legally Brown||Various||13 episodes|
|2013–2014||It's a Date||Winston||2 episodes|
|2013–2014||Have You Been Paying Attention?||Himself||3 episodes|
|2015–present||The Daily Show||Himself (as Correspondent)||Ongoing|
|2016||Comedy Showroom||Ronny Chieng||1 episode|
|2016||The Katering Show||Himself||1 episode|
|2017–present||Ronny Chieng: International Student||Ronny Chieng||6 episodes|
|2018||Crazy Rich Asians||Edison "Eddie" Cheng||Feature film|
|2012||Best Newcomer Award||Won|
|2014||Directors' Choice Award||Won|
|2013||Best of the Fest [Local]||Nominated|
|2014||Best of the Fest [Local]||Won|
- Brown, Simon Leo (31 March 2016). "The Daily Show's Ronny Chieng returns to 'home ground' for Melbourne comedy festival". abc.net.au.
- Hunt, Elle (27 April 2016). "'Watch it before I get sued': The Daily Show's Ronny Chieng on his new pilot". The Guardian.
- DiClaudio, Dennis (5 October 2016). "The Daily Show's Ronny Chieng lands his own Comedy Central series". AV Club.
- "About Me". RonnieChieng.com. Retrieved 14 October 2016.
- Staff, Variety (20 July 2016). "10 Comics to Watch 2016". variety.com. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "The O'Reilly Factor Gets Racist in Chinatown". cc.com. 6 October 2016.
- Wemple, Erik (7 October 2016). "'The Daily Show' raps Jesse Watters, Fox News for racist segment on Chinatown". Washington Post.
- Martinelli, Marissa (7 October 2016). "The Daily Show's Ronny Chieng Went to Chinatown, Delivered the Perfect Corrective to Fox News' Racist Segment". Slate.
- "'Crazy Rich Asians' Adds Awkwafina". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (2018-06-04), The Daily Show LIVE: A Conversation with Trevor Noah and the World’s Fakest News Team, retrieved 2018-06-04