Ronny Heberson Furtado de Araújo
Ronny in 2013
|Full name||Ronny Heberson Furtado de Araújo|
|Date of birth||11 May 1986|
|Place of birth||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|2009–2010||→ União Leiria (loan)||17||(3)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20 December 2015.
Ronny Heberson Furtado de Araújo (born 11 May 1986), known simply as Ronny, is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays for German club Hertha BSC mainly as a left midfielder but also as a left back.
Early years / Sporting
Born in Fortaleza, Ronny began his professional career with Sport Club Corinthians Paulista, spending three seasons with the club but appearing mainly for the reserve team. After his contract ended in July 2006, he moved to Sporting Clube de Portugal.
Since joining Sporting, Ronny struggled to gain first-choice status: in the 2006–07 season he battled with internationals Marco Caneira and Rodrigo Tello, finishing with 12 Primeira Liga appearances, although he would score a memorable goal in an 88th minute 1–0 away win against Associação Naval 1º de Maio on 26 November 2006 – his free kick was unofficially measured according to some sources and YouTube at 211 km/h.
In the 2007–08 campaign Ronny began as starter but, with the arrival on loan from A.C. Milan, in January, of Leandro Grimi, lost his position, playing just six games in his third year. For 2009–10, only being third or fourth-choice at Sporting, he was loaned to U.D. Leiria, freshly returned to the top division.
At the end of the loan, after helping Leiria stay up whilst contributing with three goals, Ronny transferred to German second division club Hertha BSC, where his older brother Raffael was also playing. He made his Bundesliga debut on 17 September 2011, coming on as a substitute for Patrick Ebert in the last minutes of a 2–2 home draw against FC Augsburg.
For 2012–13 Ronny moved into a more attacking midfield position, left vacant after his sibling's departure. He scored a career-best 18 goals precisely in that season, helping his team return to the top flight after one year out.
- "Has football ever started a war?". The Guardian. 21 February 2007. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "The fastest shots in football". Goal.com. 18 February 2013. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Raffael verlängert bis 2014" [Raffael extends contract to 2014] (in German). Hertha BSC. 31 May 2010. Retrieved 31 May 2010.
- "Hertha Berlin 2–2 FC Augsburg". ESPN Soccernet. 17 September 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Hertha eiskalt – Ronny überragt beim Jahn" [Hertha stone cold – Ronny surprises at Jahn] (in German). kicker. 3 February 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Hertha beat Braunschweig 3–0". Hertha BSC. 8 April 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Rivais desde pequenos, irmãos Raffael e Ronny duelam no sábado" [Rivals since a young age, brothers Raffael and Ronny go at it Saturday] (in Portuguese). Globo Esporte. 18 October 2013. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- Ronny at footballzz.co.uk
- Ronny profile at ForaDeJogo
- Ronny at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Ronny profile at Soccerway
- Official website