chairman and chief executive officer
|Services||Manufacture of steel & polyvinyl chloride pipes|
Number of employees
Roofings Group, often referred to simply as Roofings, is the largest manufacturer of steel construction materials in Uganda, with installed production capacity of 72,000 metric tonnes annually.
The headquarters of the group and two of its manufacturing companies and factories are located on 39 acres (16 ha) at Lubowa, Wakiso District, on the Kampala-Entebbe road, approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) south of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda.
New premises were acquired at the Kampala Industrial and Business Park at Namanve, also in Wakiso District, to house new steel mills belonging to Roofings' subsidiary company, Roofings Rolling Mills Limited (RRM), the third company in the conglomerate. It is expected that once the new facilities are brought on-line, employment at Roofings Limited and RRM will triple from the present 1,000 to about 3,000. The new factories will be built and operated in collaboration with two Japanese steel companies, Yodogawa Steel Works and Fujiden International. The Japanese firms will, in turn, take an equity position in RRM. More recently, the group has opened a polyvinyl chloride pipes and building materials factory at Lubowa, the Roofings Polypipes.
In addition to the factories and offices at Lubowa and Namanve, the company maintains warehouses and attached sales offices at the following locations:
- Arua Park Superstore 1 - 13-13A Wilson Road, Kampala
- Nakasero Booking Office 2 - 3 Market Street, Nakasero, Kampala
- Industrial Area Superstore 3 - 2-3 Channel Lane and 5th Street, Industrial Area, Kampala
- Jinja Superstore 4 - 4-6 Spire Road, Jinja
- Gulu Superstore 6 - Latek Odong Road, Downtown Gulu, Gulu
- Banda Superstore 7 - Mukabya Road, Banda, Kampala
- Roofings Manufacturing Limited - Kigali, Rwanda
The company was established in 1994 following licensing facilitated by the Uganda Investment Authority. The company in 2008 was producing about 100,000 metric tonnes of steel annually. In February 2011, Roofings secured funding from the International Finance Corporation, an arm of the World Bank, totaling US$25 million for expansion of production facilities. This was in addition to a syndicated loan of US$64 million obtained from a consortium of six Ugandan commercial banks obtained in December 2010 for the same purpose. When all of the planned expansion is completed, the company's exports will more than double to over US$130 million annually. The company's products are marketed to the six member countries of the East African Community and to the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo.
As of March 2016, the shares of the three companies that comprise the Group were owned as outlined below:
- Roofings Limited: wholly owned by Sikander Lalani and his family.
- Roofings Rolling Mills: 90 percent owned by Roofings Limited and 10 percent owned by Yodogawa Steel Works Limited of Japan. This facility cost US$170 million to establish in 2014.
- Roofings Polypipes & Irrigation Systems Limited: wholly owned subsidiary of Roofings Limited.
The Roofings board of directors has seven members, all of whom are executives in the company. Sikander Lalani serves as the chairman of the board and chief executive officer. The CEO is assisted by 31 senior managers who are responsible for running the day-to-day affairs of the company.
In September 2016, the Group received government authorization to supply the country’s infrastructure projects, including the 600 megawatt Karuma Hydroelectric Power Station and the 183 megawatt Isimba Hydroelectric Power Station, which are under construction.
- IFC (18 May 2010). "Roofings Rolling Mills Limited: Summary of Proposed Investment". Washington DC: International Finance Corporation (IFC). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Otage, Stephen (30 August 2013). "New steel plant set to employ 2,000 people". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- Mugabe, David (1 March 2016). "Roofings looking to bigger distribution network through SGR". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- RGU (8 March 2016). "Roofings Group: About Us". Kampala: Roofings Group Uganda (RGU). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- GFC (8 March 2016). "Distance between Kampala Road, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda and Lubowa Police Post, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- RGU (8 March 2016). "Roofings Group: Investors". Kampala: Roofings Group Uganda (RGU). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- RGU (9 March 2016). "Roofings Group: Roofings Poly Pipes". Kampala: Roofings Group Uganda (RGU). Retrieved 9 March 2016.
- RGU (8 March 2016). "Roofings Group: Contact Us". Kampala: Roofings Group Uganda (RGU). Archived from the original on 9 March 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Kwihangana, Sarah (6 August 2014). "Roofings Group looks to open manufacturing plant in Rwanda". New Times (Rwanda). Kigali. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Mugabe, David (8 February 2011). "Roofings Company Gets U.S.$25 Million for Namanve". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- CRO (21 November 2013). "Projects: Roofings Rolling Mills (RRM)". Construction Review Online (CRO). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- RGU (10 March 2016). "Roofings Group: Share Holders". Kampala: Roofings Group Uganda (RGU). Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Kazooba, Charles (10 September 2016). "Roofings Limited to get Uganda government projects". The East African. Nairobi. Retrieved 10 September 2016.
- RGU (8 March 2016). "Roofings Group Management Team". Kampala: Roofings Group Uganda (RGU). Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- Website of Roofings Limited
- Website of Uganda Investment Authority
- Location of Company Headquarters and Main Factory At Wikimapia