Rookie of the Year (band)
|Rookie of the Year|
|Origin||Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States|
Future Destination Records (2010 - 2011)
Rookie of the Year is an indie rock/acoustic band from Fayetteville, North Carolina . They were signed to One Eleven Records, though the fourth release of their latest EP fulfilled their contractual obligation to One Eleven and allow them to sign with a new label. The band is fronted by lead singer/songwriter Ryan Dunson. The band has seen many live band lineup changes, with Dunson being the sole remaining member from the start of 2010. The band is currently rounded out by Jeff Nations and Adam Wirth.
The band was formed in 2005 as a solo project of singer Ryan Dunson. Dunson signed with Vice Verse Virtue Records, a Tennessee record label, in late 2005. Soon after, Dunson signed to One Eleven Records, releasing a 1000-copy EP called Late Night Makeout. In 2005 One Eleven Records released the band's first record, Having to Let Go, as a 13-track LP. In 2005, OneEleven Records re-released the album as a ten-track LP. After expanding to a five-piece, their second album, The Goodnight Moon, was released in April 2006. Following this release, they toured through North America on the Warped Tour, as well as with groups like Relient K, Mae, Secondhand Serenade, PlayRadioPlay, The Graduate, My American Heart, Monday in London, The Rocket Summer, Dave Melillo, Cute Is What We Aim For, Love Me Electric, Blackpool Lights, Four Letter Lie, As Cities Burn, We Are the Fury, Scenes from a Movie, Mutemath, Copeland, Mest, Quietdrive, Under the Influence of Giants, Upper Class Trash and label mates The Spill Canvas, This Day & Age, and Rory.
Their last full-length record so far Sweet Attention was released on August 5, 2008 on One Eleven Records. Over the next 12 months, the band toured non-stop promoting the release, including two headlining tours as well as a prominent tour supporting reunited boy-band LFO. Over the course of the tour, 3 of the band members who participated in the recording of Sweet Attention left the band and were replaced with new musicians.
June 7, 2010 released is an 8 track EP titled The Most Beautiful, featuring the singles "Turn the Page" and "Frustrated", was featured on the front page of purevolume.com. This record is available on iTunes.
David Whitney, (drummer) was killed in a car accident on July 4, 2011.
January 11, 2012, Rookie of the Year release an Acoustic/EP called Along for the Ride featuring the song Dallas.
Rookie of the Year have announced details of a UK tour starting the 3rd of January with Mae headlining. Past members are rumored to reunite for this tour.
Rookie Of The Year officially release Canova Presents: The Goodnight Moon Part II with new website www.Rookieoftheyearmusic.com Featuring the singles: Love/Me/Crazy, Save Me and Colors of Summer.
In early 2017, it was announced that Rookie Of The Year would be touring as a full band (with a new lineup consisting of Ryan Dunson, Josh Palkin, Jeff Nations, Tyler Bradford Wright and Cam Gillette) for the first time since 2011. The band completed a 6-week national comeback tour which included headline dates and support dates with Forever The Sickest Kids, He Is We, For The Win and The New Low.
The Sounds Of Summer Tour, Rookie of the Year's first headlining tour in 7 years as a full band, occurred in August 2017 with special guests Stages & Stereos, Kyle Lucas, Ashland, City Under Siege and The AutumnAfter. Kevin Oliver served as guitarist for this tour after Wright's departure.
Rookie Of The Year will be touring as support for Sherwood on the A Different Light 10 Tour in October 2017 with special guests Motherfolk. Adam Wirth will play bass and David Knodle will serve as guitarist.
- Having to Let Go (2005)
- The Goodnight Moon (April 11, 2006, 111 Records)
- Sweet Attention (August 5, 2008, 111 Records) U.S. Billboard Heatseekers No. 11 and No. 9 on Billboard's Alternative New Artist chart.
- The Most Beautiful (June 7, 2010, Future Destination Records)
- The Goodnight Moon Part II (August 13, 2013, Future Destination Records distro)
Ryan Dunson - Lead Vocals, Guitar
Jeff Nations - Drums, Percussion, Background Vocals
Adam Wirth - Bass, Background Vocals
- Former Live Members
- Kevin Oliver - Aug. 2017 (Guitar)
- Josh Palkin - Jan.-Sept. 2017 (Bass, Background Vocals)
- Tyler Bradford Wright - Jan.-May 2017 (Guitar, Vocals)
- Cam Gillette - Jan.-Apr. 2017 (Bass, Background Vocals)
- Mike Kamerman - 2004-2010 (Guitar, Vocals)
- Pat Murphy - 2004-2009 (Bass)
- Trey Mulvey (Bass)
- Kenneth Christian - 2011 (Bass)
- Brandon Schade - 2006-2009 (Guitar)
- David Whitney - 2007 (Drums)
- TJ Holt - 2004-2006 (Drums)
- Zane Frye (Drums)
- Brandon Day (Guitar)
- Mick Parsons - 2007-2008 (Drums)
- Mike Henry - 2008-2009 (Drums)
- Vito Apollo - 2008-2009 (Keyboards)
- Daniel Kerrigan - 2009 (Keyboards/Guitar)
- Zack Reichert - 2009-2010 (Guitar)
- Wes Lauterbach (Guitar/Vocals)
- Guest Vocals and Special Guest.
- Aaron Marsh (Copeland)-2005 (guest vocals on the song "Just For Tonight" - Having To Let Go)
- Bryan Barnes (Thin Dark Line)-2006 (guest vocals on the song "The Goodnight Moon" and "Set the Sails, Red Beret" - The Goodnight Moon)
- Mike Barnes (Thin Dark Line)-2006 (guest vocals on the song "The Goodnight Moon" and "Set the Sails, Red Beret" - The Goodnight Moon)
- Brent Kaminski (Thin Dark Line)-2006 (guest vocals on the song "The Goodnight Moon" and "Set the Sails, Red Beret" - The Goodnight Moon)
- Mike Lawson (Thin Dark Line)-2006 (guest vocals on the song "The Goodnight Moon" and "Set the Sails, Red Beret" - The Goodnight Moon)
- Amy Malpass - 2008 (guest talking vocals on "The Goodnight Moon" - The Goodnight Moon)
- Brad Fischetti (LFO) (guest vocals on "Pop Destroyed the Scene" - The Goodnight Moon)
- Matt Thiessen (Relient K)-2008 (piano and string arrangements on all songs - Sweet Attention and guest vocals on the song "Danger Zone" - Sweet Attention)
- Andrew Goldstien (Friday Night Boys)-2010 (guest vocals on the song "Frustrated" - The Most Beautiful)
- Brett Detar (The Juliana Theory)-2010 (guest guitar player on "Spinning Around" - The Most Beautiful)
- Erika Lauren (From the Cast of Real World 2009)-2010 (guest vocals on the song "Take These Words" - The Most Beautiful)
- What Is Love (2008)
- Liars and Battlelines (2007)
- Sooner or Later (The Next Move) (2009)
- Slow Down (2009)
- Hey Lauren (2010)
- Wake me up (it's Christmas) (2010)
- Dallas (2012)
- Everything (2017)
- Ryan Dunson asked to fill in singing for Blue October shows while singer, Justin Furstenfeld was in rehab.
- Ryan Dunson was in Florida's rock band Farewell to Fashion (2001–2002).
- Ryan Dunson was asked to join Dead Poetic as a member but declined to begin Rookie of the Year as a full band.
- The band would perform with Secondhand Serenade for full band songs if needed.
- Jeff Nations filled in on drums on select tour dates with Shaman's Harvest (Mascot Records) in September 2015
- Jeff Nations and Adam Wirth performed with the indie rock band Various Hands prior to joining Rookie Of The Year