Room for PlayStation Portable
|Developer||Sony Computer Entertainment Japan|
Online community service|
|Discontinued||April 15, 2010|
|Website||Official website (in Japanese)|
Room for PlayStation Portable (officially styled R∞M, in capital letters with an infinity symbol in the place of the two O's, also marketed as PlayStation Room) was a community-based social networking service that halted development on April 15, 2010. It was being developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and was being beta tested in Japan from October 2009 to April 2010 for the PlayStation Portable on the PlayStation Network. The service was similar to the PlayStation 3's service, PlayStation Home.
Room was first announced at TGS 2009. It could be launched directly from the PlayStation Network section of the PSP's XrossMediaBar after it had been downloaded and installed onto the PSP system. Just like in Home, PSP owners would have been able to invite other PSP owners into their rooms, which were called "my rooms", to "enjoy real time communication." The service would have been free, with additional premium content available at launch. The service was to be available for all models of the PSP. Sony announced that the PSP service would allow users to create 3D avatars, room spaces, blogs, albums, and chat support.
A closed beta test occurred from October 2009 up to April 15, 2010. Selected PSP owners received an invitation and more details to participate in the closed beta test. PSP owners in Japan were able to sign up for the closed beta test from September 24, 2009, to October 5, 2009, on the Japanese website. Requirement was that they had access to the internet from their PSP and that they were 18 years or older and had a PlayStation Network master account.
Development of the service halted on April 15, 2010, due to the feedback from the community. SCE Japan thanked those who participated in the beta testing for their feedback.
- Avatars Xbox 360 Avatars | Wii Miis
- Avatar worlds PlayStation Home | Second Life | Free Realms | IMVU | OLIVE | Active Worlds
- "Sony Computer Entertainment Japan introduces "R∞M (Room) for PlayStation Portable" in Japan this Winter". Tokyo, Japan: Sony Computer Entertainment Japan. 24 September 2009. Archived from the original on 9 October 2009. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
Sony Computer Entertainment Japan (SCEJ) […] today announced the “R∞M (Room) for PlayStation Portable,”
- Spencer (2010-04-15). "Sony Pulls The Plug On PSP Social Network Service". Siliconera. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "PSP Room: It's Like PS Home for The PSP". G4tv.com.
- "TGS 2009: Make room for 'PlayStation Room'". Joystiq.
- "Sony reveals PS Home for PSP". Eurogamer.
- "TGS 09: New PSP Room service announced". PlayStation Universe.
- Official website (in Japanese)