24 May 1995
|Alma mater||Manav Rachna College of Engineering, Faridabad Singularity University|
|Awards||Gifted Citizen Prize 2016, MIT TR35 by Technology Review, Nominet Trust 100, Microsoft's Imagine Cup 2015 and CFC 2015, Yahoo Accenture Innovation Jockeys Seasons 3,4,5.|
Roopam Sharma, FRSA (born 24 May 1995) is an Indian scientist and innovator creating Social impact through disruptive technological inventions and solves perennial problems. Roopam is best known for his work on Manovue, the technology which enables the visually impaired to read printed text and is meant to replace the braille language. His research interests include Wearable Computing, Mobile Application Development, Human Centered Design, Computer Vision, AI and Cognitive Science. Roopam was recently awarded the Gifted Citizen Prize 2016 and has been listed as one of the top 8 Innovators Under 35 by the MIT Technology Review for the year 2016 in India. Roopam believes that people with passion can change the world for the better. In 2018, he was honoured as part of Asia's 21 Young Leaders Initiative in Manila.
Early life, education and research
Roopam was born on May 24, 1995 in Faridabad, Haryana, India to Nirmal and Krishna Dutt Sharma. He has a brother Rahul and a sister Priyanka. Roopam comes from a very humble, middle-class family. He is an alumnus of Ryan International School, Faridabad and Modern Vidya Niketan, Faridabad and went on to study Bachelors of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering at Manav Rachna University in Faridabad, Haryana. It wasn’t out of any of his creative desires that he chose Engineering. He and his parents thought that engineering was one career where he would not starve. Roopam began his research and innovation journey during his sophomore year of undergraduate school at Manav Rachna University with a belief that students who worked in research and development in college got better job opportunities but destiny had other plans for him. Roopam's contributions to the society proves that he innovates for the betterment of the society.
Roopam's project Manovue, developed by Eyeluminati, which is the world's first intelligent personal assisting system for the visually impaired. It's an inexpensive technology that does 3 main things:
- It enables the user to read printed text by simply pointing over the text.
- It helps them to navigate freely outside well known environment through haptic feedback.
- It comes with a completely voice controlled mobile phone application and enables the user to use his phone only through his voice.
Manovue brings employ ability, Independence and Empowerment to the visually impaired and is meant to replace the braille language, the cane and will open up the smartphone market to the visually impaired. Manovue was awarded as the winner of the Microsoft Imagine Cup 2015 and Yahoo Accenture Innovation Jockeys season 4. He was listed on the MIT Tech Review 35 under 35 list in 2016.
Awards and achievements
Roopam was recently awarded the Gifted Citizen Prize 2016. Each year the Gifted Citizen Prize is given to the best social entrepreneurship project that has the ability to benefit 10 million people over the next six years. This international prize honors the passions of those that seek to develop real solutions to humanity's most pressing issues. He has also been listed as an innovator under 35 in 2016 by the Technology Review. Each year Technology Review discovers and presents new generations of Innovators Under 35, the young leaders developing hard technologies to solve the major global challenges of today in remarkably different ways and impacting the lives of millions of people around the globe. Roopam was also named as a judge for the Living Talent Masterpiece 2017 and Accenture Innovation Jockeys Season 6.
The following is the list of notable awards and achievements received:
|2017||National Youth Award||Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports|
|2016||SE100 Inspiring Social Enablers List||SE100 Inspiring Social Enablers Programme|
|2016||Nominet Trust 100 List||Social Tech Guide By Nominet Trust|
|2016||Gifted Citizen Prize 2016||Ciudad de las Ideas|
|2016||MIT Technology Review Innovators Under 35||Technology Review|
|2016||Presidents Award||Manav Rachna University|
|2015||Winner: Microsoft YouthSpark Challenge for Change||Microsoft|
|2015||Grand Winner: Microsoft Imagine Cup India||Microsoft|
|2016||Torchbearer Award||Manav Rachna College of Engineering, Faridabad|
|2016||Yahoo Accenture Innovation Jockeys Season 5||Yahoo Accenture|
|2015||Yahoo Accenture Innovation Jockeys Season 4||Yahoo Accenture|
|2014||Yahoo Accenture Innovation Jockeys Season 3||Yahoo Accenture|
References and notes
- "La Ciudad de las Ideas". www.ciudaddelasideas.com.
- "Manovue — Social Tech Guide". Social Tech Guide.
- "Manav Rachna International University". www.facebook.com.
- Innovators Under 35 CNBC Awaaz Retrieved 2016-08-08
- Youngest person ever to win MIT TR 35 under 35 DNA India
- 2016 Innovators Under 35: Roopam Sharma,20 Retrieved 2016-08-08
- about Roopam Sharma Roopamsharma.com. Retrieved 2016-08-08
- Manovue: World's first intelligent personal assisting system for the Visually Impaired CNBC Retrieved 2016-08-08
- Making visually impaired 'see' through technology Deccan Herald Retrieved 2016-08-08
- Glove that helps visually impaired to read printed text Dainik Bhaskar Retrieved 2016-08-08
- Imagine Cup India National Finals Microsoft Retrieved 2016-08-08
- It’s time to replace Braille Yahoo Accenture Innovation Jockeys Retrieved 2016-08-08
- "Manav Rachna make it big at Accenture Innovation Jockeys".
- 2015 Imagine Cup World Finalists Microsoft Retrieved 2016-08-08
- MIT TR Innovators under 35 PTI News Retrieved 2016-08-08
- Gifted Citizen Prize 2016 La Ciudad de las Ideas Retrieved 2017-04-01
- Living Talent Presents Masterpiece 2017 - The World's First Multi-genre Intercontinental Talent Hunt PR Newswire Retrieved 2017-12-02
- Living Talent announces Masterpiece 2017 a global talent hunt in Dubai Everything Experiential Retrieved 2017-12-20
- Living Talent Presents Masterpiece 2017 Daily News Retrieved 2017-11-22
- Accenture Announces Winners of First ‘Accenture Innovation Challenge Accenture Retrieved on 2017-12-05
- Roopam Sharma got National Youth Award Nav Bharat Times Retrieved 2017-22-12
- Roopam Sharma - National Awardee And Citizen Prize 2016 Igniting Minds Retrieved 2018-01-29
- Manav Rachna Alumnus Receives National Youth Award Manav Rachna Retrieved 2018-01-29
- SE100 Inspiring Social Enablers Retrieved 2017-04-04
- "SE100". 6 December 2016.
- Nominet Trust 100 Retrieved 2017-04-04
- "Social Tech Guide". Social Tech Guide.
- Roopam strikes it big with Gifted Citizen Award 2016 Manav Rachna University Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Roopam is the only student to ever qualify for the MIT Innovator Under 35 award NewsVoir Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Mint and MIT Technology Review Brought Together EmTech India and Innovators Under 35 - India Edition Press Trust Of India Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Roopam Sharma, Student of Manav Rachna Educational Institutions has been awarded the prestigious MIT Tech Review’s ‘Innovators Under 35’ Award Manav Rachna Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Infosys Announces the Winners of Infy Maker Awards in India Infosys Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Winners In Health Category Infosys Retrieved 2017-04-04
- MRU Recognises Excellence among Student Achievers Manav Rachna University
- These youngsters won Microsoft's challenge Deccan Herald Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Two Indian Students Win at Microsoft YouthSpark Challenge for Change Contest educationtechnology.in
- Young Achievers educationworld.in Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Faridabad Boy's Project on Dementia Awarded by Microsoft The New Indian Express Retrieved 2017-07-07<
- Emancipator Assisting the people suffering from Dementia and related disorders Microsoft Retrieved 2017-07-07
- "Heartache and hope inspire Microsoft Challenge for Change winners to make a difference - News Center".
- Two Indian students win at Microsoft contest kalvimalar Retrieved 2017-07-07<
- Meet the Winners Microsoft TechNet Retrieved 2017-07-07
- Challenge for Change: In Conversation with the Asian Winners Microsoft Retrieved 2017-07-07
- Youth of Faridabad Got Awarded By MIcrosoft Amar Ujala Retrieved 2017-07-07
- Roopam Sharma making headlines the world over Archive.Org Retrieved 2017-07-07
- The 2015 Imagine Cup India National Finals Microsoft Retrieved 2017-04-04
- It’s time to replace Braille Accenture Innovation Jockeys Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Winners of the third season of “Innovation Jockeys” announced by Accenture News Patroling Retrieved 2017-04-04
- Girls feel safe thanks to these IT visionaries inspiration.innovationjockeys.net Retrieved 2017-07-07
- Government officials can talk to the public easily thanks to these young visionariesinspiration.innovationjockeys.net Retrieved 2017-07-07
Media related to Roopam Sharma at Wikimedia Commons