Aerial view of Roosendaal
Location in North Brabant
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Jacques Niederer (VVD)|
|• Total||107.16 km2 (41.37 sq mi)|
|• Land||106.42 km2 (41.09 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.74 km2 (0.29 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|Population (August 2017)|
|• Density||725/km2 (1,880/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Towns/villages of the municipality
- Roosendaal (population: 66,760)
- Wouw (4,920)
- Heerle (1,900)
- Nispen (1,440)
- Wouwse Plantage (1,230)
- Moerstraten (660)
The city of Roosendaal
Nispen merged with Roosendaal[when?] to form the municipality Roosendaal en Nispen. On 1 January 1997 the municipalities Roosendaal en Nispen and Wouw merged into the municipality now simply known as Roosendaal.
Roosendaal goes back to the 12th and 13th century. The name Rosendaele was first mentioned in a document of 1268. Roosendaal was always a part of North Brabant. In the Middle Ages, Roosendaal grew as a result of the turf business, but the Eighty Years' War (1568–1648) put an end to the growth as Roosendaal and Wouw were suffering from itinerant combat troops that plundered and ravaged everything they came across. For decades the countryside of Roosendaal was abandoned.
- Railway station: Roosendaal
The city serves as a regional railway hub: the Zwolle-Roosendaal Intercity service starts and ends here, the international train from Amsterdam to Brussels calls at Roosendaal, as does the Amsterdam-Vlissingen (Flushing) intercity. There is also a stop-train service to Antwerp.
The Bravis Ziekenhuis Roosendaal is the main general hospital for residents of Roosendaal and surrounding areas. Bravis Ziekenhuis offers specialised medical care provided by a broad team of medical specialists. Special units include: Cardiology, Dermatology, Gynaecology, Oncology, Ophthalmology  and Intensive Care.
Events in Roosendaal
- Draai van de Kaai cycling race
- Annual "International ABBA Day" - A weekend-long event, normally each April, operated by ABBA's official Fan Club which is based in Roosendaal.
- Hendrick Lonck (born 1568), sea captain
- Harry Broos (1898–1954), sprinter
- Antoine Mazairac (1901–1966), cyclist
- Fons Rademakers (1920–2007), filmmaker
- George Knobel (1922-2012), footballer
- Jack Jersey (1941-1997), singer song-writer, musicproducer
- Jean Defraigne (born 1929), politician
- Jack van Poll (born 1934), jazz pianist
- Theo Laseroms (1940–1991), footballer
- Ad Konings (born 1956), ichthyologist
- Hein Van de Geyn (born 1956), jazz bassist
- Joost Lagendijk (born 1957), politician
- Ben van Beurden (born 1958), CEO, Shell
- Ronny Moorings (born 1961), musician
- Ingrid van Lubek (born 1971), triathlete
- Jeroen van Damme (born 1972), runner
- Korbett Matthews (born 1972 ), documentary filmmaker, teacher
- Bram Lomans (born 1975), hockey player
- Marie-Josee Saint-Pierre (born 1978), film animator
- "Burgemeester mr. J.M.L. (Jacques) Niederer" (in Dutch). Gemeente Roosendaal. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 4701NK". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.