Roosevelt High School (Roosevelt, New York)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Roosevelt High School|
1 Wagner Avenue
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||Roosevelt Union Free School District|
|NCES District ID||3624990|
|NCES School ID||362499003463.|
|Principal||Brodrick Spencer |
|Enrollment||1,034 (as of 2016-17)|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.0:1|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue and Gold|
Roosevelt High School is a four-year public high school located in Roosevelt as part of the Roosevelt School District, serving students in grades 9 through 12. It is located in the hamlet of Roosevelt in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County, New York, U.S. After years of failing test scores, Roosevelt High School is the first high school in New York to be taken over by the state.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 964 students and 56.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 17.0:1. There were 247 students (25.6% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 46 (4.8% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Roosevelt High School has a grading and promotion policy. In order for a student to be admitted to the ninth grade, a student must pass 3 of the 4 major subject areas each year:
The student can fail no more than the equivalent of 1 credit in minor subjects each year (i.e. Technology 1/2 credit, Home Career 1/2 credit, etc.)
To be promoted from grade 9 to 10, a student must earn 4 units of credit.
These units must include: 1 in English and 1 in Social Studies. To be promoted from grade 10 to grade 11, a student must have earned 9 units of credit. These units must include: 2 units in English, 2 units in Social Studies, 1 unit in Mathematics, 1 unit in Science. A student must receive a minimum grade of 70 in order to advance.
The student body in the 2007-2008 school year consisted of:
- 2 American Indian or Alaska Native students or 0% of the student body
- 615 Black or African American students or 77% of the student body
- 181 Hispanic or Latino students or 23% of the student body
- 1 Asian or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander students or 0% of the student body
- 0 White students or 0% of the student body
- 0 Multiracial students or 0% of the student body
Notable Roosevelt Junior-Senior High School alumni include:
- Chuck D, political activist and member of the hip hop group Public Enemy.
- Eddie Murphy, comedian and actor.
- Julius Erving, otherwise known as "Dr. J", member of the Basketball Hall of Fame who played for the Philadelphia 76ers until his retirement.
- Howard Stern, radio personality.
- Gabriel Casseus, Actor (New Jersey Drive, Fallen, Their Eyes Were Watching God), Writer & Producer (Takers).
- History; URL accessed October 1, 2009.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Roosevelt Union Free School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Roosevelt High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- "Roosevelt High School / Homepage". Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- School data for Roosevelt High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
-  NYtimes, accessed October 1, 2009
- Grading and Promotion Policy Promotion Guidelines, Accessed October 1, 2009.
- School Comprehensive Information Report (PDF); URL accessed May 2, 2009.
- Kilgannon, Corey (November 5, 2006). "THE ISLAND: On the Streets, a Friend Mourned in Verse". New York Times.
- "Eddie Murphy, a BIG Star!". African American Registry. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- "NBA.com: Julius Erving Bio". Retrieved 2009-07-11.
- "Famous Alumni:Howard Stern". Roosevelt High School.