Roosevelt Reservation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Roosevelt Reservation is a 60-foot (18 m) strip of land on the United States side of the United States–Mexico Border under the jurisdiction of the United States Federal Government. It was established in a 1907 Presidential Proclamation (35 Stat. 2136) by Theodore Roosevelt in order to keep public lands in California, Arizona, and New Mexico "free from obstruction as a protection against the smuggling of goods between the United States and Mexico".[1][2][3] Texas is not mentioned, due to the details of the Texas annexation, where Texas retained all public lands upon annexation and admittance as a state.[4][5]

The area along the southwest border is composed of federal, state, tribal, and private lands; federal and tribal lands make up 632 miles, or approximately 33 percent, of the nearly 2,000 total border miles. Private and state-owned lands constitute the remaining 67 percent of the border, most of which is located in Texas[6]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ Spangle, Steven L. (2008-02-11). "Biological Opinion for the Proposed Installation of 5.2 Miles of Primary Fence near Lukeville, Arizona" (PDF). U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. p. 3. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
  2. ^ Nuñez-Neto, Blas; Kim, Yule (2008-05-14). "Border Security: Barriers Along the U.S. International Border" (PDF). Federation of American Scientists. p. 24. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
  3. ^ Roosevelt, Theodore (1907-05-27). "text, Presidential Proclamation of May 27, 1907" (PDF). Retrieved 2017-11-15.
  4. ^ Dickinson, Gerald S. (2017-08-25), "Forget funding the wall, Trump needs the land first", The Hill
  5. ^ McFarland, Charles (2019-02-04), Declaring a national emergency to fund Trump's border wall may be what finally kills the project, NBC News
  6. ^ Southwest Border: Issues Related to Private Property Damage (GAO-15-399) (PDF), GAO, April 2015, p. 5-6

Coordinates: 31°47′01″N 107°31′27″W / 31.78361°N 107.52417°W / 31.78361; -107.52417