|Focus||Environmentalism, Conservation, Humanitarianism|
|Origins||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
|Method||Community action, service projects, youth-led campaigns, networking youth|
Roots & Shoots was founded by Jane Goodall, DBE in 1991 with the goal of bringing together youth from preschool to university age to work on environmental, conservation and humanitarian issues. The organization has local chapters in over 140 countries with over 8000 local groups worldwide that involve nearly 150,000 youth.[unreliable source?] Many of the chapters operate through schools and other organizations. Participants are encouraged to identify and work on problems in their own communities affecting people, animals, or the environment. Charity Navigator has awarded Roots & Shoots and its parent non-profit organization, the Jane Goodall Institute, its highest four-star rating for accountability and transparency, with 78.1% of its expenses going directly to the programs.
Roots & Shoots was founded in 1991 when Dr. Goodall started giving talks at local schools in Tanzania. A group of 12 of her students, selected by their classmates, met with Goodall at her home to discuss their local environmental concerns, figure out what they could do to help. These 12 students became the first members of Roots & Shoots, and the organization grew from there. Of the original 12 students, one eventually went on to serve as the Minister of Environment for Tanzania. Another became the Roots & Shoots' National Director for Tanzania.
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2018)
The Roots & Shoots curriculum is a learning program for teachers and other community leaders to use with students and young people to help them develop environmental, conservationist, and humanitarian programs to improve their communities. It is intended that through service projects, students develop a sense of service and leadership in their own communities. The curriculum is split into elementary, middle and high school lesson plans. The program encourages young people to create projects that support campaigns. Roots & Shoots provides resources about how to integrate these projects into the local community. A major tenet of the Roots & Shoots model is to use science and technology to map out community needs in order to find the places in a community where a campaign or service projects can help people, animals, or the environment. Roots & Shoots also uses technology to train club leaders through its online course, "Turning Learners into Leaders: Empowering Youth Through Service Innovation". The professional development course provides community leaders with training in community mapping, fostering leadership in young people, collaborating with community stakeholders, and guiding young leaders towards practical solutions for community campaigns.
There are active Roots & Shoots branches in at least 27 countries, with offices in Abu Dhabi, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, Canada, Columbia, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Puerto Rico, Nepal, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- "Roots & Shoots". Jane Goodall Institute.
- "Roots & Shoots". Roger Williams Park Zoo.
- "Jane Goodall: Sowing 'Seeds of Hope'". Huffington Post. 12 September 2013.
- Saphir Lewis. "Jane Goodall, Roots & Shoots". World Peace Emerging Blog. Archived from the original on 11 September 2015.
- "Jane Goodall's Roots & Shoots". Roots & Shoots.
- "Jane Goodall toasts 20 years of "Roots and Shoots"". Reuters.
- "Jane Goodall Institute". Charity Navigator.
- "Jane Goodall's Roots & Shoots - The Jane Goodall Institute". The Jane Goodall Institute. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Jane Goodall toasts 20 years of "Roots and Shoots"". Reuters. 19 February 2011.
- "Curriculum-Based Service Learning Program". Pearson Foundation. Archived from the original on 2013-07-16.
- "Get Started! | Roots & Shoots". www.rootsandshoots.org. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Roots & Shoots Online Course | Roots & Shoots". www.rootsandshoots.org. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Global Offices - The Jane Goodall Institute". The Jane Goodall Institute. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Roots & Shoots offices in China". Shanghai Roots & Shoots. Archived from the original on 2013-10-16.
- Taiwan Roots & Shoots"Taiwan Roots & Shoots".
- "Riverfield Country Day School | Provide excellent education in a family-oriented atmosphere for Pre-School through High School | Tulsa, Oklahoma 74132". www.riverfield.org. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Empire High School". Retrieved 2019-12-03.