Ropley railway station
Engine 80104 approaching Ropley station on The Watercress Line
|Original company||Alton, Alresford and Winchester Railway|
|Pre-grouping||London and South Western Railway|
Southern Region of British Railways
|2 October 1865||opened|
|5 February 1973||closed|
|30 April 1977||reopened|
|Stations on heritage railways in the United Kingdom|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Ropley railway station is a railway station in Ropley, Hampshire, England, which opened in 1865 and reopened in 1977 after four years' closure, to be served by steam and select diesel trains on the Watercress Line which shares its terminus at Alton railway station along with the more major Alton Line.
The station was opened by the Mid-Hants (Alton Lines) Railway (MHR) on 2 October 1865. The MHR was leased to the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) in August 1880, which fully absorbed the MHR in June 1884. The LSWR amalgamated with other railways to form the Southern Railway on 1 January 1923.
Ropley railway station was reopened by the Mid Hants Railway (Watercress Line) on 30 April 1977. It is an intermediate station on the 10-mile (16 km), four-station route which runs from Alton to New Alresford, also in Hampshire.
The main locomotive shed and workshops for the Mid Hants Railway are just to the east of Ropley station.
In 2012/13, a footbridge, originally at King's Cross station in London, was dismantled to connect instead the raised picnic area, orchard and children's play areas to the buildings at Ropley station taking in for part of its length the maintenance shed, where passengers can walk over and view the works below.
|Preceding station||Heritage railways||Following station|
|Medstead and Four Marks||Watercress Line||Alresford (Hampshire)|
|Medstead and Four Marks||Alton, Alresford and Winchester Railway||Alresford (Hampshire)|
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 199. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. London: Guild Publishing. p. 194. CN 8983.
- Awdry 1990, p. 177
- "Basingstoke Railway History in Maps". Christopher Tolley. 2001. Archived from the original on 6 December 2008. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Alan C Butcher (1996). Mid-Hants railway in colour. ISBN 0-7110-2465-0.
- "Watercress Line gets Kings Cross 'Harry Potter' bridge". BBC News. 2 November 2011. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ropley railway station.|