Rory Cooper's false antechinus
|Rory Cooper's false antechinus|
|Rory Cooper's false antechinus range|
Rory Cooper's false antechinus (Pseudantechinus roryi), also known as the tan false antechinus and the tan pseudantechinus, is a recently named species of small carnivorous marsupial which inhabits rocky outcrops in Western Australia. Nothing is known of its behaviour but it is expected that this will be similar to other members of the false antechinus genus. A study published in 2017 found no support for separation as a new species of Pseudantechinus, and the name was proposed to be synonymous with the previously described Pseudantechinus macdonnellensis.
Rory Cooper's false antechinus has been found from the Pilbara into the Great Sandy and Gibson Deserts. It is possible that false antechinuses found on Barrow Island also belong to this species. It differs from other members of its genus in its reddish-brown colouring; the typical colouring of a false antechinus is grey-brown.
An analysis of specimens in a comparison of Pseudantechinus phylogenies, based on evidence of mitochondrial and nuclear genes, found no support for separation from the species Pseudantechinus macdonnellensis.
- Groves, C.P. (2005). Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M. (eds.). Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 28. ISBN 0-801-88221-4. OCLC 62265494.
- Burbidge, A., Cooper, N. & Morris, K. 2016. Pseudantechinus roryi. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2016: e.T136620A21945749. https://doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-2.RLTS.T136620A21945749.en. Downloaded on 15 August 2019.
- Cooper, N. K.; Aplin, K. P.; Adams, M. (2000). "New species of false antechinus (Marsupialia: Dasyuromorphia: Dasyuridae) from the Pilbara region, Western Australia". Rec. West. Aust. Mus. 20: 115–136.
- Menkhorst, Peter (2001). A Field Guide to the Mammals of Australia. Oxford University Press. p. 252.
- Umbrello, L.S.; Woolley, P.A.; Westerman, M. (2017). "Species relationships in the dasyurid marsupial genus Pseudantechinus (Marsupialia : Dasyuridae): a re-examination of the taxonomic status of Pseudantechinus roryi". Australian Journal of Zoology. 65 (4): 240. doi:10.1071/ZO17059.
|This article about a marsupial is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Western Australia article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|