This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Rory Lewis, age 32, self portrait
Rory Lewis (born 5 October 1982 in Chester, England) is a British photographer known for his celebrity portrait photography. Lewis's inspirations include the works of the artists Hans Holbein the younger, Caravaggio, Titian and Thomas Lawrence and the German Expressionist movement of the 1920s.
In 2014, Lewis photographed and held his first major portrait photography exhibition. Entitled 'Northerners', the project was an entirely new collection of portraits from a cross section of northern English actors, celebrities, sports personalities, and politicians. Held in aid of UNICEF, the exhibition featured portraits of Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Ian McShane, Emma Rigby, Beth Tweddle, Craig Charles, General Sir Nick Houghton and Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson.
Throughout 2016-17, Lewis embarked on a portrait project entitled Soldiery British Army Portraits. Photographing over 278 British soldiers, and publishing a book of the collection. The collection was exhibited at Armed Forces Day Liverpool 24 June and then moved to The National Army Museum in London from 31 January - 12 February 2018.
As part of the Soldiery project, Lewis held portrait sitting with WO2 Deborah Penny, Britain's first transgender soldier to serve in the front line.
- Liverpool Echo Interview 18 July 2014 http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/photographer-rory-lewis-latest-exhibition-7449860
- Liverpool Echo Newspaper Article 12 June 2012 http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/how-liverpool-portrait-specialist-rory-3339544
- Hans Holbein the younger http://rorylewisphotography.com/holbeins-inspiration/
- What inspired you to become a photographer? http://rorylewisphotography.com/inspired-become-photographer/
- Biography http://rorylewisphotography.com/about-me/
- Liverpool Echo Interview 12 July 2012 http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/how-liverpool-portrait-specialist-rory-3339544
- National Portrait Gallery David Warner http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw248086/David-Warner?LinkID=mp64101&role=sit&rNo=2
- Photographer Rory Lewis captures Northern stars of stage, screen and football pitch for new exhibition http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/photographer-rory-lewis-captures-northern-7895590
- Northerners: Rory Lewis photographs Gandalf and a General https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29657598
- Rory Lewis Luis Suarez for Pepsi http://rorylewisphotography.com/luis-suarez-pepsi/
- Rory Lewis Website Victoria & George Cross http://rorylewisphotography.com/portfolio/victoria-george-cross-portraits/
- "Rufus Sewell (Actor) Portrait Acquired by National Portrait Gallery London - Portrait Photographer Rory Lewis Liverpool & London & Los Angeles (CA)". Portrait Photographer Rory Lewis Liverpool & London & Los Angeles (CA). 2017-12-04. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- Liverpool Echo Newspaper (Soldiery) British Army Portraits http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/portraits-parade-photography-exhibition-armed-12882717
- Rory Lewis Book Soldiery British Army Portraits http://rorylewisphotography.com/soldiery-book/
- Beale, Jonathan (2018-02-03). "The 'changing face' of the British Army". BBC News. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- "British Army Soldier, Warrant Officer Class 2 Deborah Penny Portrait Acquired by National Portrait Gallery London - Portrait Photographer Rory Lewis Liverpool & London & Los Angeles (CA)". Portrait Photographer Rory Lewis Liverpool & London & Los Angeles (CA). 2017-12-19. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- RORYLEWIS (2018-12-23). "David Cameron Prime Minister Portrait Sitting". Portrait Photographer Rory Lewis Liverpool & London & Los Angeles (CA). Retrieved 2018-12-23.