Rory MacDonald (fighter)
July 22, 1989
Quesnel, British Columbia, Canada
|Other names||The Red King|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||169.3 lb (77 kg; 12 st 1 lb)|
|Reach||76 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under David Lea|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
last updated on: July 28, 2013
Rory Joseph MacDonald (born July 22, 1989) is a Canadian mixed martial artist currently competing in Bellator MMA, where he is the current Bellator Welterweight World Champion. Having been a professional competitor since 2005, he is a former UFC top contender who obtained an overall record of (9-4) with the promotion, and also a former King of the Cage Lightweight Champion.
Mixed martial arts career
MacDonald is of Scottish, Irish and Norwegian descent. He started his training with David Lea at the age of 14 and his fight team Toshido Fighting Arts Academy out of Kelowna, B.C. MacDonald made his professional debut at the age of sixteen, winning against Terry Thiara, at an Extreme Fighting Challenge event. He moved to Montreal and joined Tristar Gym, home of former UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St-Pierre, after his loss to Carlos Condit.
King of the Cage
He then moved to 2–0, by beating Ken Tran in his King of the Cage (KOTC) debut. He won a fight in Rumble in the Cage and then signed exclusively with King of the Cage. He won two fights after signing and was then rewarded with a shot at the KOTC Canadian Lightweight title, against Kajan Johnson, which MacDonald won. MacDonald then was awarded a shot at the King of the Cage Lightweight Championship, against Clay French, MacDonald knocked him out in the second round. After the fight MacDonald moved up to welterweight and successfully defeated Elmer Waterhen by first round armbar.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
MacDonald was signed to the UFC after compiling a 9–0 professional record.
He debuted for the promotion at UFC Fight Night 20 against Mike Guymon.Guymon dropped MacDonald with a right cross, before MacDonald quickly recovered, took Guymon down and won the fight with an armbar submission in the first round. MacDonald lost to Carlos Condit via third-round TKO at UFC 115 in a bout that earned the Fight of the Night award. MacDonald was competitive in the first two rounds using effective striking and taking Condit down three times. Condit came back with a more aggressive attitude in the final round and finished MacDonald with a combination of elbows and punches. After the fight, the judges' scorecards were revealed and showed that had MacDonald not been finished in the last seven seconds, he would have picked up a split decision victory.
MacDonald was expected to face James Wilks on April 30, 2011 at UFC 129. However, Wilks was replaced on the card by Nate Diaz. MacDonald dominated Diaz during all three rounds (throwing Diaz via German Suplex three times in the third round) and earning a unanimous decision victory.
MacDonald was expected to face Brian Ebersole on December 10, 2011 at UFC 140. However, MacDonald pulled out of the bout with an injury and was replaced by Claude Patrick. MacDonald beat Che Mills via second-round TKO on April 21, 2012 at UFC 145. After getting hit with hard shots in the first round, MacDonald took the fight to the ground, where he controlled the fight with his superior wrestling and ground and pound.
MacDonald was expected to face BJ Penn on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. However, MacDonald pulled out of the bout after sustaining a cut to the forehead while training. The fight eventually took place on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. MacDonald dominated Penn for three rounds and won by unanimous decision.
MacDonald defeated Jake Ellenberger by unanimous decision on July 27, 2013, at UFC on Fox 8. He used his size and reach advantage to repeatedly land his jab, neutralizing the shorter Ellenberger. UFC president Dana White criticized the performance as "lackluster".
MacDonald beat Demian Maia by unanimous decision on February 22, 2014 at UFC 170, earning his second Fight of the Night bonus award. MacDonald almost had to pull out of this fight after stabbing himself in the hand while cutting an avocado.
MacDonald was expected to face Hector Lombard on April 25, 2015 at UFC 186. However, on February 10, the UFC indicated that both participants had been removed from the card and that the pairing had been scrapped as both fighters are expected to be rebooked against a new opponent.
A rematch with former champion Robbie Lawler took place on July 11, 2015 at UFC 189. MacDonald lost the fight via TKO in the fifth round. The back and forth action earned both participants Fight of the Night honors. The fight was considered an instant classic by fans and media alike with UFC President Dana White hailing it as one of the best welterweight fights in the promotion's history.
On August 26, 2016, MacDonald signed a contract with Bellator MMA. He subsequently appeared at Bellator 160 and announced his intentions to win both the welterweight and middleweight championships. In his Bellator debut, MacDonald fought Paul Daley in the main event at Bellator 179 on May 19, 2017. He won the one-sided fight via rear-naked choke in the second round.
MacDonald faced Bellator MMA welterweight champion Douglas Lima at Bellator 192 on January 20, 2018. He won the back-and-forth fight by unanimous decision (48-47, 49-45, 49-46). He sustained an injury with a big swelling on the shin of his left leg, midway through the fight.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Bellator MMA
- Bellator Welterweight Championship (One time; current)
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- King of the Cage
- KOTC Lightweight Championship (One time)
- KOTC Canadian Lightweight Championship (One time)
- Bleacher Report
- Top MMA News
- Canadian Fighter of the Year (2012)
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|24 matches||20 wins||4 losses|
|Win||20–4||Douglas Lima||Decision (unanimous)||Bellator 192||January 20, 2018||5||5:00||Inglewood, California, United States||Won the Bellator Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||19–4||Paul Daley||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Bellator 179||May 19, 2017||2||1:45||London, England|
|Loss||18–4||Stephen Thompson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Thompson||June 18, 2016||5||5:00||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||18–3||Robbie Lawler||TKO (punches)||UFC 189||July 11, 2015||5||1:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Welterweight Championship. Fight of the Night. Fight of the Year (2015).|
|Win||18–2||Tarec Saffiedine||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Saffiedine||October 4, 2014||3||1:28||Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||17–2||Tyron Woodley||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 174||June 14, 2014||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||16–2||Demian Maia||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 170||February 22, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||15–2||Robbie Lawler||Decision (split)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–1||Jake Ellenberger||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Moraga||July 27, 2013||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||14–1||B.J. Penn||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||13–1||Che Mills||TKO (punches)||UFC 145||April 21, 2012||2||2:20||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Win||12–1||Mike Pyle||TKO (punches)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||1||3:54||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||11–1||Nate Diaz||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 129||April 30, 2011||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Loss||10–1||Carlos Condit||TKO (punches)||UFC 115||June 12, 2010||3||4:53||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||10–0||Mike Guymon||Submission (armbar)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||1||4:27||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||9–0||Nick Hinchliffe||KO (punches)||KOTC Canada: Disturbed||September 26, 2009||2||2:08||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||8–0||Elmer Waterhen||Submission (armbar)||KOTC Canada: Island Pride||May 8, 2009||1||1:27||Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada||Welterweight debut.|
|Win||7–0||Clay French||KO (punches)||KOTC Canada: Grinder||November 28, 2008||2||4:26||Calgary, Alberta, Canada||Won the KOTC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||6–0||Kajan Johnson||TKO (elbows and punches)||KOTC Canada: Avalanche||December 15, 2007||3||1:48||Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada||Won the KOTC Canadian Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Yoon Heo||TKO (knees)||KOTC Canada: Icebreaker||November 3, 2006||2||0:19||Prince George, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||4–0||Quinton Moreno||Submission (triangle choke)||KOTC Canada: Insurrection||October 6, 2006||1||N/A||Vernon, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||3–0||Jordan Mein||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Rumble in the Cage 17||June 17, 2006||1||4:04||Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||2–0||Ken Tran||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC Canada: Anarchy||February 11, 2006||1||2:33||Prince George, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||1–0||Terry Thiara||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Extreme Fighting Challenge 4||October 15, 2005||1||2:11||Prince George, British Columbia, Canada|
- Sherdog.com. "Rory". Sherdog. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Fight Card - UFC 189 Mendes vs. McGregor". UFC.com. Retrieved July 17, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night MacDonald vs. Saffiedine". UFC.com. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- T.P. Grant (December 31, 2012). "Rory MacDonald awarded black belt in no gi jiu jitsu". Bloody Elbow.
- "Rory "Ares" MacDonald - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- "BREAKING: Rory MacDonald Signs with Bellator". Retrieved 2016-08-24.
- "UFC Fight Night 20 recap". mmajunkie.com. January 12, 2010. Archived from the original on January 13, 2010.
- "UFC 115: Carlos Condit vs Rory MacDonald in the works for June 12". mmamania.com. 2010-01-27.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2012-07-10.
- "MacDonald vs Brown at UFC 123". Sportsnet.ca. 2010-08-18.
- "Injured Rory MacDonald out, Brian Foster in against Matt Brown at UFC 123". mmajunkie.com. October 13, 2010. Archived from the original on October 16, 2010.
- "UFC 129: Brookins-Makdessi, MacDonald-Wilks Set for April 30 in Toronto". mmafrenzy.com. January 4, 2011.
- "Nate Diaz meets Rory MacDonald at UFC 129". mmajunkie.com. January 14, 2011. Archived from the original on July 12, 2012.
- "UFC 133: Welterweights Rory MacDonald vs. Mike Pyle Set for Aug. 6 in Philly". mmafrenzy.com. May 23, 2011.
- "Rory MacDonald vs Brian Ebersole booked for Dec. 10 in Toronto". mmaweekly.com. September 6, 2011.
- "Rory MacDonald out, Claude Patrick in against Brian Ebersole at UFC 140". MMAJunkie.com. November 8, 2011. Archived from the original on November 10, 2011. Retrieved November 8, 2011.
- "UFC 145; seven bouts shift to Atlanta". mmajunkie.com. January 20, 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Mrosko, Gene (June 9, 2012). "BJ Penn vs Rory MacDonald fight booked for Sept. 22 in Toronto". mmamania.com. Retrieved June 9, 2012.
- Roth, Matthew (2012-08-05). "UFC 152: Rory MacDonald Injured and out of B.J. Penn Fight". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Rory MacDonald vs. B.J. Penn targeted for UFC on FOX 5 co-headliner". mmajunkie.com. August 10, 2012.
- "Firas Zahabi: Rory MacDonald Was Not Showboating Against B.J. Penn". sherdog.com. December 13, 2012. Retrieved December 13, 2012.
- John Morgan and Steven Marrocco (2013-02-18). "Rory MacDonald scratched from UFC 158, Johny Hendricks now meets Carlos Condit". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-02-18.
- Maggie Hendricks (July 27, 2013). "Rory MacDonald wins UFC on Fox 8 snoozefest over Jake Ellenberger". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved July 27, 2013.
- Dave Doyle (July 28, 2013). "Dana White on MacDonald vs. Ellenberger: 'That fight sucked so bad'". mmafighting.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- Jason Nawara (2013-11-17). "Robbie Lawler beats up Rory MacDonald and nabs the split-decision". middleasy.com. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Brent Brookhouse (2014-02-23). "UFC 170 bonuses: Rousey, Maia, MacDonald and Thompson each take home $50,000". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- Dave Walsh (2014-02-25). "Rory MacDonald Stabbed Himself Cutting an Avocado, Okay". mmanuts.com. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- Mindenhall, Chuck (2014-04-08). "Tyron Woodley inks an eight-fight deal with UFC, faces Rory MacDonald at UFC 174". MMAfighting.com. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-10-05). "UFC Fight Night 54 results: Rory MacDonald stops Tarec Saffiedine with TKO in third". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- Xxsugus (2014-10-05). "UFC Fight Night 54 bonuses: Rory MacDonald, Olivier Aubin-Mercier, Patrick Holohan and Chris Kelades earns $50K". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- Zane Simon (2015-01-10). "Hector Lombard set to face Rory MacDonald at UFC 186". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-01-10.
- Staff (2015-02-10). "Champ Demetrious Johnson vs. Kyoji Horiguchi is UFC 186's new co-main event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-10.
- Mike Bohn (2015-02-10). "With MacDonald vs. Lombard pulled from UFC 186, both fighters to get new opponents". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-10.
- Staff (2015-02-18). "Champ Robbie Lawler meets Rory MacDonald at UFC 189 as event's second title fight". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-02-18.
- Thomas Myers (2015-07-12). "UFC 189 results: Robbie Lawler somehow survives, rallies, to score nose-crunching fifth round knockout of Rory MacDonald". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Chuck Mindenhall (2015-07-12). "UFC 189 bonuses: Rory MacDonald and Robbie Lawler's war good enough for FOTN bonus". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2015-07-12). "Dana White: Rory MacDonald 'didn't know what year it was' after UFC 189 loss to Robbie Lawler". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Staff (2016-03-04). "Rory MacDonald vs. Stephen Thompson headlines UFC Fight Night 89". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-06-19). "UFC Fight Night 89 results: Stephen Thompson picks apart Rory MacDonald for decision win". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- "Bellator announces Rory MacDonald signing during Bellator 160 broadcast". 2016-08-27. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Staff (May 19, 2017). "Bellator 179 results: Rory MacDonald dominates Paul Daley for first win since 2014". mmajunkie.com.
- "Rory MacDonald to Fight Douglas Lima for Bellator Welterweight Title in January". cagesidepress.com. September 20, 2017.
- "Bellator 192 results: Rory MacDonald edges Douglas Lima to claim welterweight gold". MMAjunkie. 2018-01-21. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Pic: MacDonald's Leg Is A Mess At Bellator 192". MMAmania.com. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Rory MacDonald Wins World Title With The Most Mangled Leg We've Ever Seen". 2018-01-22. Retrieved 2018-01-23.
- "Gegaed Mousasi to Defend Bellator Middleweight Title Against Rory MacDonald in September".
- "Best of Canada 2012: Fighter of the Year". TopMMANews.com. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Meltzer, Dave (January 25, 2016). "January 25, 2016 Wrestling Observer Newsletter: 2015 Observer Awards Issue". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Campbell, California: 29. ISSN 1083-9593.