Rosé at the 33rd Golden Disc Awards in January 2019
11 February 1997
Auckland, New Zealand
|Other names||Park Chaeyoung|
|Years active||2012, 2016–present|
|Revised Romanization||Bak Chae-yeong|
Roseanne Park (born 11 February 1997), better known by the mononym Rosé (Korean: 로제), is a New Zealand singer and dancer based in South Korea. Rosé signed with South Korean label YG Entertainment following an audition in 2012, training there for four years. She eventually made her debut as the main vocalist in the girl group Blackpink in August 2016. As a solo artist, she has featured in labelmate G-Dragon's 2012 track "Without You", which peaked at number ten on the Gaon Music Chart.
Life and career
1997–2015: Early life and career
Roseanne Park (Korean: 박채영; Park Chae-young) was born on 11 February 1997 in Auckland, New Zealand, to South Korean immigrant parents. She has an older sister. In 2004, at the age of seven, Rosé and her family moved to Melbourne, Australia. Rosé initially attended Kew East Primary School graduating in 2009, attending Canterbury Girls' Secondary College in Melbourne for her secondary schooling. She began singing and learned to play guitar and piano as a child and performed in church choirs.
In 2012, 16-year-old Rosé attended an audition in Australia for South Korean record label YG Entertainment at her father's suggestion and was ranked first among 700 participants. Within two months, she dropped out of school, signed with the label and moved to Seoul. Rosé initially thought her father's idea was a joke due to the distance and difficulty of becoming a singer overseas, stating:
In Australia, I didn't think that there was much of a chance for me to become a singer, especially to become a K-pop star... I was living so far from the country that it never really occurred to me as a possibility.
The same year, Rosé was given an opportunity to feature on labelmate G-Dragon's song "Without You" off his EP One of a Kind (2012). Her name was not publicised at the time of release with her credit revealed following her announcement as a Blackpink member. The song peaked at number ten on South Korea's Gaon Music Chart and at number 15 on the Billboard Korea K-pop Hot 100.
2016–present: Debut with Blackpink
Rosé trained at YG Entertainment for four years before her announcement as a member of Blackpink in June 2016. She was the last member to be revealed. The group debuted in August 2016 with the single album Square One, which produced the lead singles "Whistle" and ''Boombayah".
The singer has also appeared on a variety of broadcast programmes such as music shows King of Masked Singer and Fantastic Duo 2. Her vocal performance on King of Masked Singer was met with a warm reception by the audience, to which Rosé commented that she "didn't know if the audience would like [her] singing" and that she felt "happy and relieved" at the positive result. Rosé later appeared as a performer on the second season of Fantastic Duo. The show's production staff stated that her appearance was intended to "reveal Rosé's vocal appeal, which is different from Blackpink". On June 2, 2020, YG Entertainment announced that Rosé would debut solo in 2020, following the release of Blackpink's first full album.
Rosé's voice has received acknowledgement in the K-pop industry for its distinct vocal timbre, following her debut as a member of Blackpink. Following Rosé's performance on an episode of Fantastic Duo 2, South Korean singer Gummy, whom Rosé cited as a musical role model, stated that "[Rosé's] voice is so unique, it's the [type of] voice young people love".
Through a radio interview, Rosé cited labelmate senior Big Bang's Taeyang as her role model towards her musical career. As a musician, Rosé also considers American singer Tori Kelly an inspiration on her musical style.
In 2018, Rosé and fellow Blackpink member Jisoo were selected as endorsement models for the South Korean cosmetics brand Kiss Me. In October 2019, Rosé was revealed as a promotional model for the Perfect World Entertainment's MMORPG Perfect World Mobile. In 2020, Rosé was named the global ambassador for Yves Saint Laurent by Anthony Vaccarello. She was the global face for Saint Laurent's Fall 2020 campaign.
Impact and influence
As of October 2020, Rosé is the third most-followed Korean individual on Instagram, with over 30.5 million followers. Since 2018, she has appeared on the Korean Business Research Institute's female celebrity brand reputation list, a chart that tracks Korean celebrities with the most online searches and engagements, and previously reached the top 10.
As featured artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales||Album|
|"Without You" (결국; Gyeolguk)
(G-Dragon feat. Rosé)[a]
||One of a Kind|
- Credited as "? of YG New Girl Group" at the time of the release.
|2017||King of Mask Singer||MBC||Contestant "Circus Girl"||Episodes 103–104|||
|Fantastic Duo||SBS||Contestant "Australia 400:1"||Season 2, Episodes 19–20|||
- Herman, Tamar (22 October 2018). "BLACKPINK Sign With Interscope Records & UMG in Global Partnership With YG Entertainment: Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- Vincent, Brittany (12 February 2019). "Everything To Know About BLACKPINK (Before They're in Your Area)". MTV. Retrieved 5 September 2020.
- Lee, Jung-yeon (12 August 2016). "[블랙핑크 VS 투애니원③] 블랙핑크는 누구?" [Who Is Blackpink?]. DongA Ilbo (in Korean). Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- "BLΛƆKPIИK on Instagram: "#BLACKPINK #블랙핑크 #ROSÉ #로제 #HAPPYBIRTHDAY #2018_02_11 #YG"". Instagram. Retrieved 8 July 2019.
- FAMILY, YG (10 February 2018). "HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSÉ#BLACKPINK #블랙핑크#2018_02_11 #HBD #로제pic.twitter.com/AJEnRLeSyD". @ygent_official. Retrieved 8 July 2019.
- Kim, Nemo (12 September 2018). "Rose from Blackpink – New Zealand-born K-pop singer with the unique voice and difficult dance moves". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Wilder, Gabriel (27 June 2017). "BlackPink's Rose: How a joke turned into K-pop stardom for an Australian singer". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Li, Caspar (11 February 2019). "4 things to know about K-pop star Rose, BLACKPINK's high-note singer". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Moon, Kat (4 April 2019). "Everything to Know About K-Pop Group BLACKPINK". Time. Retrieved 31 May 2019.
- Ji, Seung-hoon (7 July 2018). "[Y기획②]멤버를 알면 '진짜' 블랙핑크가 보인다". YTN (in Korean). Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Lim, Soo-yeon (17 August 2016). "블랙핑크, 지난 6년의 데뷔사". Ize (in Korean). Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "2012년 39주차 Digital Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- "G-Dragon Korea K-Pop Hot 100 Chart History". Archived from the original on 25 September 2017. Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Sung, Mi-kyung (22 June 2016). "YG, 새 걸그룹 네번째 멤버 로제 공개..호주 출신 실력파..'강렬'". Osen (in Korean). Retrieved 28 May 2019.
- Benjamin, Jeff (16 August 2016). "Blackpink's Major Debut: New K-Pop Girl Group Lands No. 1 & 2 on World Digital Songs Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- Park, Chan-soo (4 August 2017). "[Oh!쎈 컷]'판듀2' 로제 "YG오디션, 400:1 경쟁 뚫고 합격"". Osen (in Korean). Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- "YG, "ROSÉ·LISA·JISOO Will Release Solo Tracks… Will Start Releasing in Sequential Order After the Release of BLACKPINK's Full-Length Album in September"". YG Entertainment. YG Entertainment. 2 June 2020. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- Lee, So-dam (22 November 2017). "[화보] 블랙핑크 로제 "목소리 특이한 줄 몰랐다..선물 받은 기분"". Osen (in Korean). Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- 블랙핑크 로제, 거미 선배 앞 떨리는 열창 ‘Irreplaceable’ 《Fantastic Duo 2》 판타스틱 듀오 2 EP19 (video) (Television show) (in Korean). YouTube: SBS. 6 August 2017. Event occurs at 2:30. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- Cho, Eun-sol (29 June 2017). "<강타의 별이 빛나는 밤에> 블랙핑크의 음색 대통령, 로제의 롤모델은 누구!?". imbc. Retrieved 13 June 2020.
- "Interview with Rosé of Blackpink: Ceci Magazine". Ceci Magazine (in Korean). Seoul.
- Kim, Na-yoo (27 September 2018). "블랙핑크 지수X로제, 메이크업 브랜드 모델 발탁..트렌디 매력UP". The Korea Herald (in Korean). Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- "Blackpink's Rosé revealed as the face of MMORPG Perfect World". ONE Esports. 20 October 2019. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- Pike, Naomi (3 July 2020). "Blackpink's Rosé Is A Saint Laurent Ambassador For A New Era". Vogue. Retrieved 19 July 2020.
- Aniftos, Rania (30 June 2020). "Blackpink's Rosé Stuns in New YSL Campaign". Billboard. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "인스타그램 "올해 韓 트렌드는 '공감'…팔로워 상위 10위는 모두 아이돌"". Chosun Biz. Naver. 16 December 2019. Retrieved 15 October 2020.
- "[브랜드평판] 걸그룹 개인 브랜드 2018년 8월 빅데이터 분석결과...1위 레드벨벳 슬기, 2위 블랙핑크 제니, 3위 마마무…" (in Korean). Korean Business Research Institute. 19 August 2018. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "[브랜드평판] 걸그룹 개인 브랜드 2019년 2월 빅데이터 분석결과...1위 블랙핑크 제니, 2위 여자친구 소원, 3위 트와이…" (in Korean). Korean Business Research Institute. 17 February 2019. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "Gaon Download Chart of 2012". Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- Jo, Hae-jin (26 March 2017). "'복면가왕' 블랙핑크 로제, 엄마 언급에 눈물 왈칵 "자랑스러운 딸 되겠다"". ENews24 (in Korean). Retrieved 29 May 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rosé.|