Rosa Khutor Alpine Resort
|Nearest city||Sochi - 50 km (30 mi)|
Krasnaya Polyana - 10 km (6 mi)
|Vertical||1,380 m (4,528 ft)|
|Top elevation||2,320 m (7,612 ft) AMSL|
|Base elevation||940 m (3,084 ft) - Stadium|
- 39% - Easiest
- 34% - More Difficult
- 27% - Expert
|Lift system||18 lifts|
5 gondolas (8 person)
9 chairlifts, 2 T-bars
2 magic carpets
|Lift capacity||30702 pph|
The Rosa Khutor Alpine Resort (Russian: Ро́за Ху́тор, tr. Roza Khutor, IPA: [ˈrozə ˈxutər]) is an alpine ski resort in Krasnodar Krai, Russia, located at the Aibga Ridge of the Western Caucasus along the Roza Khutor plateau near Krasnaya Polyana. Constructed from 2003 to 2011, it hosted the alpine skiing events for the 2014 Winter Olympics and Paralympics, based in nearby Sochi. The resort is 50 kilometers (30 mi) east of the Black Sea at Sochi; the majority of the slopes at Rosa Khutor face northeast, with the backside slopes facing southwest.
The lower base area of Roza Valley at the Mzymta River is at an elevation of 560 meters (1,840 ft) above sea level. The highest lift is the Caucasus Express gondola, which climbs to the summit of Roza Peak at 2,320 m (7,610 ft), yielding a total vertical drop of over a mile at 1,760 m (5,770 ft). The main base area for skiing is at Roza Plateau at 1,170 m (3,840 ft), a vertical drop of 1,150 m (3,770 ft) from the summit. Besedka, the mid-mountain area, is at 1,350 m (4,430 ft) and is the lower loading station of the Caucasus Express; which has a mid-lift loading station at Roza-1600, about a mile above sea level at 1,600 m (5,200 ft). At the eastern edge of the resort is Rosa Stadium, the finish area for the alpine racing events at 940 m (3,080 ft), a vertical drop of 1,380 m (4,530 ft) from the Roza Peak summit.
Rosa Khutor Alpine Ski Resort is the site of ten hotel projects with more than 1600 rooms. Management agreements are signed with several international and Russian hotel operators: The Extreme Sports Company with one Extreme Hotel, Rezidor Hotel Group (two hotels: Park Inn and Radisson Blu), Golden Tulip Hotels, Suites and Resorts (two hotels: Golden Tulip Rosa Khutor and Tulip Inn Rosa Khutor), Accor (two hotels under the Mercure Hotels brand), Swissotel, and Heliopark.
World Cup 2012
Rosa Khutor hosted World Cup alpine races in the downhill and super combined for both men and women in February 2012, two years ahead of the Olympics. The race courses were designed by 1972 Olympic gold medalist Bernhard Russi.
The men's World Cup downhill started well below the summit at 2,045 meters (6,709 ft) and finished at 970 meters (3,180 ft), with a vertical drop of 1,075 meters (3,527 ft) and a course length of 3.495 kilometers (2.172 mi). The maximum gradient is 84% (40 degrees) at the top of the course. The 2012 downhill was won by Beat Feuz of Switzerland.
The first alpine test events were held in February 2011 on the European Cup circuit.
General view of the elevation of 1170 m (Rose Plateau) from the Aibga Ridge.
The tower of the "Town Hall" building, stylized as a tower of the Sochi railway station.
Mountain Resort Rosa Khutor, Krasnaya Polyana, Sochi.
- SKI Magazine - Building Rosa Khutor: 2014 Olympics - 2010-07 - accessed 2012-02-06
- Ski Map.org - Rosa Khutor - accessed 2012-02-06
- FIS Alpine.com - Next up Sochi - Interview with Bernhard Russi - 2012-02-06
- FIS-Ski.com - World Cup - results - Sochi - men's DH - 2012-02-11
- FIS Alpine.com - Sochi - course detail - men's World Cup downhill - February 2012
- FIS Alpine.com - A great birthday party for Beat Feuz - 2012-02-11
- Sochi 2014.com - Representatives from International Ski Federation (FIS) impressed by organization of alpine skiing Cup event
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rosa Khutor Alpine Resort.|
- Official website
- Olympstroy, the State Corporation for Construction of Olympic Venues and Sochi Development as Alpine Resort Construction information and technical characteristics
- Ski Map.org - Rosa Khutor - trail maps from 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
- FIS Alpine.com - scheme of the Olympic alpine race courses - map with elevations
- dailymotion.com - video - Rosa Khutor alpine test events - European Cup - February 18–25, 2011
- The Extreme Sports Company
- Extreme Hotel