Rosalía Mera Goyenechea
28 January 1944
|Died||15 August 2013 (aged 69)|
A Coruña, Galicia, Spain
|Residence||Liáns, Oleiros, A Coruña, Galicia|
|Known for||Co-founder of Inditex|
|Net worth||$6.1 billion (2013)|
Amancio Ortega Gaona
(m. 1966; div. 1986)
|Children||2; including Sandra Ortega Mera|
Rosalía Mera Goyenechea (28 January 1944 – 15 August 2013) was a Spanish businesswoman and entrepreneur. At the time of her death, she was the richest woman in Spain and the world's richest self-made woman. In 1975, she co-founded the Zara retail chain with her then-husband Amancio Ortega Gaona. The company grew to become the world's largest fashion retailer.
Early life and education
Mera began designing gowns and lingerie in her home with her then-husband, Amancio Ortega Gaona. The couple opened the first Zara store in 1975 in A Coruña. Eventually the couple parlayed their work into a multi-billion dollar enterprise. Zara's success was in part due to its strategy of imitating popular fashions and quickly making them for sale at inexpensive prices.
Ten years after the opening of the first Zara store, Inditex was established as a holding company for the couple's businesses. Inditex now comprises multiple fashion companies, of which Zara is the flagship. The company also owns the retailers Bershka, Massimo Dutti, Oysho, Pull & Bear, Stradivarius, Uterque and Zara Home. Inditex now has over 6000+ stores in over 86 countries and over 120,000 employees. Despite her 1986 divorce from Ortega, Mera retained a 7% stake in the company.
Mera also owned interests in a company which made fingerprinting identification kits for newborns and another company, Zeltia, which carries out research into cancer fighting compounds of both synthetic and natural origin and particularly those bioactive compounds originating in the ocean.
According to the 2013 Forbes billionaire list, Mera was the world's wealthiest self-made female entrepreneur, with a net worth of over $6 billion. She was the second-wealthiest person from Spain, second only to her ex-husband.
Political and philanthropic activities
Mera opposed conservative Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy's plans to make Spain's abortion laws more restrictive. She also opposed austerity cutbacks to Spain's national healthcare and education programmes.
On 14 August 2013, Mera was admitted to a hospital in Menorca in an ‘irreversible situation’ after suffering a stroke. The family had been on holiday in Menorca. Mera died on 15 August 2013 in A Coruña. She had been transferred by plane to the port city and then by ambulance to the Hospital San Rafael de A Coruña where she later died of complications. Inditex confirmed Mera's death on 16 August 2013, stating "The group wishes to send its sincere condolences to her loved ones and friends at this extremely difficult time, after the loss of a person who contributed so much to the origins and development of the company." She was buried in the cemetery of the church of Santa Eulalia of Liáns, in Oleiros (A Coruña).
- Kroll, Luisa. "The Rarer Sex: The Self-Made Women Billionaires Of 2013". Forbes. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- "Zara co-founder Rosalia Mera dies aged 69". BBC News. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Carlyle, Erin (16 August 2013). "Rosalia Mera, World's Richest Self-Made Woman, Dies At 69". Forbes. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Dennys, Harriet (16 August 2013). "Rosalia Mera". Daily Telegraph. London.
- Baigorri, Manuel (16 August 2013). "Rosalia Mera, Who Was Spain's Richest Woman, Dies at 69". Bloomberg. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Rosalia Mera, World's Wealthiest Self-Made Woman, Dies At 69". Huffington Post. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Hetz, Robert (15 August 2013). "UPDATE 1-Co-founder of Zara-owner Inditex dies in hospital-report". Reuters. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Zeltia website
- EC accreditation for the foundation Archived 20 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- Rosalía Mera, has been admitted to hospital in Menorca in an ‘irreversible situation’ after suffering a stroke Archived 19 February 2014 at the Wayback Machine (15 August 2013). Retrieved 16 August 2013
- Muere Rosalía Mera, cofundadora de Inditex (16 August 2013). Retrieved 16 August 2013. (in Spanish)
- Conti, Samantha (16 August 2013). "Rosalia Mera, Cofounder of Inditex, Dies". WWD. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Rosalía Mera será enterrada este sábado en A Coruña.
- "Sandra Ortega Mera". Forbes. Retrieved 11 November 2014.