Rosalind Hamilton, Duchess of Abercorn
The Duchess of Abercorn
The Duchess of Abercorn in 1914.
|Born||26 February 1869|
|Died||18 January 1958 (aged 88)|
Westminster, London, England
James Hamilton, 3rd Duke of Abercorn
(m. 1884; died 1953)
|Children||Lady Mary Gilmour|
Cynthia Spencer, Countess Spencer
Lady Katherine Seymour
James Hamilton, 4th Duke of Abercorn
Lord Claud Hamilton
|Parent(s)||Charles George Bingham, 4th Earl of Lucan |
Lady Cecilia Catherine Gordon-Lennox
Rosalind Cecilia Caroline Hamilton, Duchess of Abercorn, DBE (26 February 1869 – 18 January 1958; née Lady Rosalind Bingham) was a British aristocrat and the Duchess of Abercorn by marriage. She was a great-grandmother of Diana, Princess of Wales.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
They had five children:
- Lady Mary Cecilia Rhodesia Hamilton (1896–1984), who married twice, firstly in 1917 Capt/Maj. Robert Orlando Rudolph Kenyon-Slaney (1892–1965), with whom she divorced in 1930, and secondly, in 1930, to Sir John Gilmour, 2nd Baronet. With her first husband she had two sons and a daughter, and with her second husband one son.
- Lady Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton (1897–1972), who married in 1919 to Albert Edward John Spencer, 7th Earl Spencer (1892–1975). They had a son and two daughters. By their son they became grandparents of Diana, Princess of Wales.
- Lady Katherine Hamilton (1900–1985), who married in 1930 Lt-Col. Sir Reginald Henry Seymour (1878–1938), a descendant of the 1st Marquess of Hertford. She was a bridesmaid at the wedding of Prince Albert, Duke of York, and Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon on 3 May 1923.
- Sir James Edward Hamilton, 4th Duke of Abercorn (1904–1979)
- Lord Claud David Hamilton (1907–1968), who worked as a barrister in the Inner Temple, and who in 1946 married Genesta Mary Heath; he was her third husband and the union was childless.
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
- 26 February 1869 – 10 November 1888: The Honourable Rosalind Bingham
- 10 November 1888 – 1 November 1894: Lady Rosalind Bingham
- 1 November 1894 – 3 January 1913: Marchioness of Hamilton
- 3 January 1913 – 12 September 1953: Her Grace The Duchess of Abercorn
- 12 September 1953 – 18 January 1958: Her Grace The Dowager Duchess of Abercorn
|Ancestors of Rosalind Hamilton, Duchess of Abercorn|
- Daily Telegraph: royal wedding photograph https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/royalty/9176069/The-Queen-Mother-in-pictures.html?frame=2181538
- Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 6. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition.