|Born||July 10, 1959|
Jamaica, Queens, New York
|Alma mater||Johns Hopkins University|
|Occupation||Author, entrepreneur, real estate investor, poet|
|Board member of||Do Something, American Red Cross|
Rosalind Resnick is an American consultant, real estate investor, journalist, author and entrepreneur credited with the creation of opt-in email, a permission-based form of email marketing. She has served on the advisory board of several companies and on the board the American Red Cross of New York and Do Something, a not-for-profit whose mission is to motivate children to become active in their communities.
Biography and education
Resnick was born to Dr. Myron Ellis Resnick and Phoebe Rose Rogosin Resnick in Jamaica, Queens in 1959. She graduated from Johns Hopkins University, earning both a B.A. and M.A. in Florentine Renaissance Social and Economic History in 1981. She has two children, Julia Grueskin (b. 1989) and Caroline Grueskin (b. 1992).
Resnick co-founded NetCreations in March 1995 and served as the company’s CEO and president until December 2001. She pioneered the concept of 100% opt-in email marketing in 1996, which turned the 2-person website design firm into an online marketing company that generated $58 million in sales in 2000, the year after its IPO, and earned it a ranking in Business Week’s “Information Technology 100” in 2001 for revenue growth surpassing 615%.
NetCreations’ development of opt-in email was a response to the prevalence of unsolicited email marketing, or Spam, which, in testimony to the Federal Trade Commission in 1997, Resnick characterized as an abuse of privacy. By 2000, NetCreation's opt-in email list was reportedly growing by 30,000 new email addresses per day, garnered from a pool of more than 260 partner websites.
Among NetCreations’ first clients for opt-in generated email marking lists were CMP Publishing, IDG Corp., MacMillan Online, Prodigy, Scholastic and Ziff-Davis Publishing Company. Her company’s early success in this Spam alternative to email marketing reportedly prompted traditional list houses to develop and sell web-generated lists.
At the time of its IPO, the company was valued at approximately $300 million, achieving a market cap of over $1 billion in February 2000. Resnick and her partner Ryan Scott sold the company after the dot-com crash of 2000 to SEAT Pagine Gialle in February 2001 for $111 million in cash.
Axxess Business Centers (d/b/a Axxess Business Consulting)
In 2002, Resnick founded and served as president of Axxess Business Consulting, a New York City consulting firm that helped startups and emerging businesses develop business plans and financial models to raise capital from angels, banks and investors.
Resnick publicly expressed her interest in real estate upon retirement from NetCreations in 2001 and owns and manages eight townhouses in New York City's West Village and two multi-family buildings in Brooklyn.
Memberships and lectures
Resnick joined the Board of Trustees of the American Red Cross in 2010 and served on the Board of Directors of Do Something from 2004 to 2009 as well as the Board of the Girl Scouts Council of Greater New York from 2001 to 2003. She has been a featured speaker at The Johns Hopkins University, Harvard University, New York University, and Pace University.
Resnick is also a published poet  and founded The Poetry Table, a self-described “21st Century poetry salon”  in 2013, which has hosted hundreds of weekly round-table discussions on poetry and has a membership of 593 poets. The Poetry Table was a sponsor of the 6th Annual New York City Poetry Festival  in 2016.
After leaving The Miami Herald in 1990, Resnick wrote freelance business and technology stories for dozens of national and international publications including The National Law Journal, International Business, Florida Trend, Compute!, PC Today, and Home Office Computing.
From 1994 to 1997, Resnick served as the editor and publisher of Interactive Publishing Alert, a semimonthly newsletter tracking trends and developments in online publishing and advertising. She wrote a business advice column for Entrepreneur Magazine from 2004-2011 and has been a guest columnist on business matters for The Wall Street Journal and the American Journalism Review.
- Exploring the World of Online Services (1993) ISBN 0895887983
- The Internet Business Guide (1995) ISBN 1575210045
- A Pocket Tour of Shopping on the Internet (1995) ISBN 0782118089
- Getting Rich Without Going Broke (2007) ISBN 1589615743
- Beating the Bailout Blues: How to Stay Sane When the Markets Are Driving You Crazy (2009) ISBN 1439212627
- The Vest Pocket Consultant’s Secrets of Small Business Success (2010) ISBN 1449581617
- Drams in a Drawer and Other Poems (2015) ISBN 1519691769
- Girl in my Rearview Mirror (2016) ISBN 1533466246
- "Business Insider". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "CrunchBase Profile". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "The Prendismo Collection". Archived from the original on 17 December 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Agile Equity: Rosalind Resnick". Retrieved 12 June 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "The Woman's Connection: Rosalind Resnick bio". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Exploring the Web as a New Medium of Communication". Archived from the original on 3 April 2010. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Raising Capital expert Rosalind Resnick - YouTube". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Free Online Library". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Nathan Kaiser (February 24, 2004). "Interview with Rosalind Resnick, Executive of NetCreations". The New York Post. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Advertising Age". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Only Once – Matt Blumberg". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "NetCreations sells to Italian giant - CNET News". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Allison Fass (December 27, 2000). "Technology Briefing: Deals; NetCreations Accepts Bid". The New York Times. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "American Express OPEN Forum". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "NetCreations CEO Resnick to Retire - Direct Marketing News". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- " The Real Deal” retrieved 09 January, 2017
- "NY Red Cross Welcomes Four Members to its Board of Trustees". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Amazon Editorial Reviews. ASIN 1449581617.
- " Amazon Author Page, Rosalind Resnick” retrieved 09 January, 2017
- " About the Poetry Table” retrieved 09 January, 2017
- " MeetUp Stats” retrieved 09 January, 2017
- "The 6th-Annual New York City Poetry Festival” retrieved 09 January, 2017
- "Double-R-Ventures". Archived from the original on 18 June 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Entrepreneur Magazine". Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Rosalind Resnick (February 11, 2011). "10 Reasons to Start a Business This Year". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Amazon.com". Retrieved 12 June 2012.