Rickaby received her M.A. in Natural Sciences from Magdalene College, University of Cambridge in 1995 and her Ph.D. from the University’s Department of Earth Sciences in 1999, under the supervision of Harry Elderfield. She went on to complete two years of post-doctoral research at the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Harvard University, working with Dan Schrag.
Career and research
Rickaby began as a faculty member of the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Oxford following her postdoc at Harvard. Her research centers around paleoceanography and biogeochemical cycling in the oceans through deep time, with a focus on using fossil shells of marine micro-organisms as proxies to reconstruct past climate change. Her research group uses a variety of geochemical methods, including the analysis of trace element and isotopic ratios, to understand the biochemical behavior of paleoproxies, such as coccolithophores. She is also an author of the book Evolution’s Destiny: Co-evolving Chemistry of the Environment and Life along with Bob Williams.
Awards and honours
- 2008: Awarded the European Geosciences Union Philip Leverhulme Prize for Outstanding Young Scientist
- 2009: Awarded the University of Miami's 36th Rosenstiel Award 
- 2010: Awarded the James B. Macelwane Medal for significant contributions to the geophysical sciences by an outstanding young scientist
- 2012: Awarded the Gast lectureship for outstanding contributions to geochemistry
- 2016: Awarded the Wolfson Research Merit Award by the Royal Society from 2016-2021.
- 2017: Awarded the Geological Society of London's Lyell Medal for contributions to soft rock studies.
- "Department of Earth Sciences » Ros Rickaby". www.earth.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- "Wolfson College, Oxford". www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- "Rosalind E. Rickaby - Honors Program". Honors Program. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- "Harry Elderfield", Wikipedia, 2018-10-29, retrieved 2018-11-21
- "Rosalind E. Rickaby". American Geophysical Union.
- "Ros Rickaby - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- "Oxford's Dr. Rosalind Rickaby receives 2009 Rosenstiel Award". American Association for the Advancement of Science. March 11, 2009.
- Williams, R J P; Rickaby, Ros (2012). "Evolution's Destiny". doi:10.1039/9781849735599.
- "2009 Recipient". www.rsmas.miami.edu. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Rosalind E. Rickaby - Honors Program". Honors Program. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Paul Gast Lecture « European Association of Geochemistry". www.eag.eu.com. Retrieved 2018-11-29.
- "Welcome". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 2018-11-21.
- "Ros Rickaby awarded Lyell Medal". University of Oxford. March 1, 2018.
- "The Geological Society of London - Lyell Medal". www.geolsoc.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-11-29.