Rosalinda (Philippines TV series)
|Based on||Rosalinda (Mexico)|
|Developed by||RJ Nuevas|
|Opening theme||"Ay Amor! (Umiibig si Rosalinda)"
sung by La Diva
sung by Carla Abellana
|Country of origin|
|No. of episodes||105|
|Executive producer(s)||Wilma Galvante|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30-45 minutes|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i NTSC|
|Audio format||Stereophonic sound|
|Original release||July 6– November 27, 2009|
1999 TV series
Rosalinda was a Mexican TV telenovela that was aired in 1999 on Televisa with singer-actress Thalía in the title role and Fernando Carrillo as Fernando Jose. The series had 80 forty-five-minute episodes, It was originally created by Delia Fiallo.
Popularity in the Philippines
The original Mexican version of Rosalinda was released in the Philippines which aired in the rival network ABS-CBN in 2000, dubbing in Filipino language. After airing its first episode, its ratings began to rise and Rosalinda became the most popular telenovela in the Philippines after Marimar, which ran in 1996 on RPN. Re-runs of Rosalinda were aired on GMA also in 2008 to 2009.
The series starts with a woman named Soledad Romero (Mercado). Attorney Alfredo Del Castillo (Rivera) is Soledad's boss and secret lover. Don Jose Fernando Atlamirano (Morales), Alfredo's brother-in-law, feels lust for Soledad, but she only has eyes for Alfredo. One day, Don Jose Fernando sends a letter to Soledad pretending to be Alfredo. When she arrives at their meeting place, Don Jose Fernando tries to rape Soledad. Alfredo arrives just in time and kills Jose Fernando to save Soledad. However, Alfredo collapses from a seizure, and Soledad is left holding the gun as the help and a young Fernando Jose, Jose Fernando's son, arrives on the scene. Jose Fernando's wife and Alfredo's sister, Dona Valeria (Cruz), does not believe that it was Alfredo who killed her husband, but blames Soledad. As such, Soledad is sent to prison for 24 years for a crime she did not commit.
While serving her sentence, Soledad gives birth to a baby girl, naming her Rosalinda (Abellana). But because she is incarcerated, she is forced to give the baby to her sister, Dolores Perez (Sevilla). At the same time, Dolores' daughter dies. To avoid telling her husband, Javier (Estrada), the truth, she tells him that Rosalinda is their daughter. When Soledad finds out, she gets angry, but she also realizes that her daughter will have a better future not knowing that her real mother is in jail.
Years later, Rosalinda is now an adult and falls in love with the handsome Fernando Jose (Eigenmann). Neither knows the truth about their respective pasts. When Dona Valeria finds out that Fernando Jose is in a relationship, she gets mad at her son for dating someone beneath their social status. Dolores and Rosalinda's sister, Fedra (Halili) also does not accept their relationship because she is also infatuated with Fernando Jose. But despite all the things and people going against them, Rosalinda and Fernando Jose find a way to keep their love strong.
Now these questions remain: Will Soledad get released from prison and revenge Atty. Alfredo and Dona Valeria? Will Fedra steal Fernando Jose from her sister, Rosalinda? Will Dona Valeria take revenge on Soledad for killing her husband? And most importantly, will Rosalinda and Fernando Jose survive all the obstacles and live happily ever after? 
Cast and characters
- Carla Abellana as Rosalinda Perez-Altamirano/ Rosalinda Del Castillo-Altamirano / Paloma Dorantes
- Geoff Eigenmann as Fernando Jose Altamirano Del Castillo
- Katrina Halili as Fedra Perez
- Jomari Yllana as Alessandro Durantes
- Sheryl Cruz as Valeria del Castillo-Altamirano
- Jackie Lou Blanco as Veronica Del Castillo-Altamirano
- Ariel Rivera as Alfredo Del Castillo
- Glydel Mercado as Soledad Romero
- Jessa Zaragosa as Evangelina Kintanar-del Castillo
- Ryza Cenon as Abril Del Castillo
- Gary Estrada as Javier Perez
- Mart Escudero as Beto Perez
- Krystal Reyes as Lucy Perez
- Gian Magdangal as Gerardo De Navarette
- Roderick Paulate as Florencio
- Sheena Halili as Becky
- Mike Tan as Rico
- Marco Alcaraz as Anibal
- Carlene Aguilar as Rodora
- Yul Servo as Roberto
- Sherilyn Reyes as Dulce
- Marky Lopez as Julio
- Ayen Munji-Laurel as Berta Alvarez / Delia
- Sheree as Natalia
- Carlos Morales as Jose Fernando Altamirano
- Jennifer Sevilla as Dolores Romero Perez
- Mymy Davao as Clarita
- Isabel Oli as Austerica Carvajal
- Bernard Palanca as Allan
- Ana Capri as Client of Mental Hospital
- Charlie Davao as Don Victor Durantes
- Bebs Hollmann as Pamela
- Chelsea Eugenio as Young Rosalinda
- Francheska Salcedo as Young Fedra
Changes from the original
- Florentino, a black old man, who owns the flower shop was replaced by Florencio, a gay man.
- Lucy (the youngest sister) is a 13-year-old girl in this series. In the original version, Lucy is around 18 or 19 years old. She later married Anibal (Fedra's ex-boyfriend) in the original series.
- Doña Evangelina is a new character who replaces Agustin Morales in this series (with his traits been given to Alex Dorantes). She was the former girlfriend and later became Don Alfredo's wife after Soledad was imprisoned.
- In the original, Abril is the kept daughter of Dona Valeria. In this series, Abril is the daughter of Don Alfredo and Dona Evangelina and Rosalinda's younger half-sister.
- The theme song was changed, containing only some elements of the original version. There are two versions: the usual theme, which has a faster tempo, and a slower love ballad, both sung by La Diva.
- Beto, the ex-husband of Abril had a relationship with Valeria toward the end of the original series. In this series, Beto harbors feelings for Abril.
- A beggar, Miserias a.k.a. Francisco Quiñones, was the thief who named Rosalinda as Paloma in the original. In this series, Rosalinda cannot remember her name but she called herself Erika (Rosalinda and Fernando Jose's daughter).
- Miserias was a beggar and a thief in the original version. In this series, he was called Amo and he has his adopted daughter Tabebeng who becomes Rosalinda/Paloma's friend and Alex's adopted father.
- Clarita (Soledad's inmate/ex-convict) has a husband named Roberto in this series. In the original version, Clarita (a single lady) is a friend of Rosalinda/Paloma. She gave Rosalinda the name Paloma, when Rosalinda had amnesia. She is a friend of Alex and Natalia.
- Miserias is the long-lost biological father of Abril in the original version. Valeria killed him before he could reveal that the secret that he was Abril's real father. Later, Valeria tells the truth to her daughter in the original. In the Philippine version, Alfredo is the biological father of Abril.
- Fedra was shot and killed by Valeria in the series. In an original version, Fedra died due to her illness after she gave birth to the son named Luis Javier who is the son of her brother-in-law, Anibal and not Fernando Jose.
- Alfredo died when he was telling the truth to Valeria in the original. In this series, Alfredo has killed while Soledad has wounded in the explosion by Fedra.
- Veronica became a lunatic since her biological son, Fernando Jose, was taken by Valeria in this series. In the original version, she was a beggar.
- Berta didn't die and whatever happens to her is unknown in this series. In the original version, she betrayed Valeria and was later killed by Ramiro.
- Beto, who becomes a villain, is not in the jail in the series. Beto is a good boy, and he is seen in a church wedding of Rosalinda as a witness. He's reunited with Abril in the finale episode.
- Florencio didn't die and seen in the church wedding in the finale of this series. Florencio tells the truth to Fernando Jose about his long-lost biological mother named Veronica. In the original version, Florentino was poisoned by Valeria; before he died, Fernando Jose and Rosalinda saw him on the sidewalk suffering from stomach pain.
- In this series, Fernando Jose rides a motorcycle go to the church wedding of Rosalinda and Alex. In the original, he rides a horse to the wedding of Rosalinda and Agustin Morales.
- Valeria and Beto get arrested in the final episode of the original. In this series, Valeria alone gets spotted by the police few times and gets arrested.
- In the original version, Rosalinda remembered her identity and Fernando Jose through one of his concerts and a car accident while in the Filipino version, Rosalinda immediately remembered Fernando Jose through a magazine. When she finds out that he married Fedra, Rosalinda changes her name to Paloma and lives her life as a singer.
- 2010 PMPC Star Awards for Television's "Best Female-New TV Personality" - Carla Abellana
- FRST READ ON PEP: Newcomer Carla Abellana to portray Pinay Rosalinda pep.ph
- "Thalia gives personalized message to Maria Mercedes star Jessy Mendiola: 'You're going to make an amazing job.'". Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- "FIRST READ ON PEP: Newcomer Carla Abellana to portray Pinay Rosalinda". Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- "GMA-7 buys rights to remake Mexican telenovela 'Rosalinda'". Retrieved 10 October 2016.
- Rosalinda colors primetime viewing starting July 6 pep.ph