|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
September 20, 1908
Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas
|Died||2001 (aged 92)|
Tales from the Darkside
Law & Order
The Cosby Show
|Parent(s)||Jonathan Rolle (1883–1953)
Elizabeth Iris Dames (1893–1981)
Esther Rolle (sisters)
|Awards||1977 - AUDELCO Award Best Supporting Actress in a Play - (Unfinished Women)|
Rosanna Rolle Carter (September 20, 1908 – 2001) was an American television, stage and film actress, of Bahamian heritage, and the sister of Esther Rolle and Estelle Evans. During the Harlem Renaissance, she acted at New Lafayette Theater as one of the Lafayette Players. She acted in The Brother from Another Planet, a well-reviewed 1984 film described as a science fiction fairy tale with a slavery plot.
Carter also guest starred on many television shows. In 1974, she made a guest appearance on her sister, Esther Rolle's sitcom Good Times as Cora. In 1985, she guest starred as Mrs. McNeill on television's Tales from the Darkside. In 1992, she guest starred as Rosanna on television's The Cosby Show. Also, she guest starred on the television show I'll Fly Away in 1993. Her last guest star appearance was on television's Law & Order in 1997 as Mrs. Hemmerick in the season eight première. She appeared on Law & Order twice before; first in 1990 as Mrs. Jackson and a small extra role in 1994 as an old woman.
Carter received an AUDELCO award in 1977 for her work as a supporting actress in the play, Unfinished Women. She was nominated for an Emmy Award as Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series in I'll Fly Away in 1993, losing to Elaine Stritch who performed in Law & Order.
- Wedding Band (TV Movie) (1974)
- Good Times (1974, episode: "Florida Flips"), as "Cora"
- Gettin' to Know Me (1980), as "Momma Violet"
- Night of the Juggler (1980), as "old woman"
- See China and Die (1981), as "maid", a.k.a. Momma the Detective
- The Brother from Another Planet (1984), as "West Indiaemmern Story"
- Tales of the Unknown South (1984, segment: Ashes)
- Tales from the Darkside (1985, episode: "In the Cards"), as "Mrs. McNeill"
- A Gathering of Old Men (1987, TV movie), as "Beulah"
- She-Devil (1989), as "Judge Brown"
- Law & Order (1990–1997, 3 episodes: "Out of the Half-Light", as "Mrs. Jackson", "Snatched", as "old woman", "Thrill", as "Mrs. Hemmerick")
- Carolina Skeletons (1991, TV movie), as "Mother Bragg"
- The Cosby Show (1992, episode: The Price is Wrong), as "Rosanna"
- I'll Fly Away (1993, episode: What's in a Name?), as "Eulalia Jefferson"
- American Playhouse (1993, episode: "Hallelujah"), as "Minnie"
- IMDB Biography for Esther Rolle
- A Sourcebook on African-American Performance: Plays, People, Movements, Annemarie Bean, 1999
- Public Theater Awards 1956-2006
- IMDB Awards for Rosanna Carter
- IMDB Emmy Awards: 1993