Rosario – Islas Malvinas International Airport
|Rosario – Islas Malvinas International Airport
Aeropuerto Internacional de Rosario – Islas Malvinas
|Operator||Province of Santa Fe|
|Serves||Rosario, Santa Fe Province, Argentina|
|Location||Av. Jorge Newbery S/N. (S2000) ROSARIO|
|Elevation AMSL||26 m / 85 ft|
Rosario – Islas Malvinas International Airport (Spanish: Aeropuerto Internacional de Rosario – Islas Malvinas) (IATA: ROS, ICAO: SAAR) is located 13 km (8.1 mi) west-northwest from the center of Rosario, a city in the Santa Fe Province of Argentina. The airport covers an area of 550 ha (1,400 acres) and is operated by the Province of Santa Fe.
The airport serves the Greater Rosario area and is the main hub for Sol Líneas Aéreas and is also served by Aerolíneas Argentinas, Gol Transportes Aéreos and TAM Linhas Aereas. There are domestic flights within Argentina from Rosario to Buenos Aires, Córdoba, Puerto Iguazú, San Carlos de Bariloche, El Calafate, Mar del Plata (via Buenos Aires), Mendoza (vía Córdoba), Santa Fe (via Buenos Aires) and Villa Gesell (only in summer, via Buenos Aires) cities as well as international services to São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and Punta del Este, Uruguay (direct flight in summer and via Buenos Aires in fall, winter and spring).
The airport is at an altitude of 26 m (85 ft)and the runway is 3,000 m × 60 m (9,843 ft × 197 ft).
A new terminal was constructed between 2003 and 2004, making Rosario effectively an international airport. Because of being so close to Buenos Aires (340 km (210 mi)), direct flights between them are not common.
In the first years of the 21st century the Rosario Airport has progressively lost air traffic volume, even after it was updated and expanded in 2003–2004. In 2005 there were only 1,807 flights, about 75% less than in 2000. Among the reasons cited are low ticket prices compared to the increased cost of fuel, the lack of a national air transportation policy, and the existence of a cheaper and fast alternative (the Rosario-Buenos Aires Highway).
Airlines and destinations
- (Spanish) "SAAR ROSARIO / ISLAS MALVINAS" (PDF). (126 KB) at AIP Argentina
- (Spanish) Aeropuerto Internacional Rosario "Islas Malvinas" at Organismo Regulador del Sistema Nacional de Aeropuertos (ORSNA)
- "Aerolíneas Argentinas inauguró la nueva ruta que une Rosario con Ezeiza" [Aerolíneas Argentinas inaugurated a new route linking Rosario with Ezeiza] (Press release) (in Spanish). Aerolíneas Argentinas. 3 January 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- AR, increases flight to Salta
- Sica, Norberto (3 March 2016). "Copa Airlines arranca en julio a volar la ruta Rosario - Panamá". Impulso. Retrieved 3 March 2016.