Rosario Central Córdoba railway station
Facade of the station, as of 2007.
|Location||27 de Febrero and J.M. de Rosas
|Operated by||Trenes Argentinos CyL|
The station was part of the Córdoba Central Railway (then added to Belgrano Railway network). Closed for passenger services since 1949, it is currently operated by freight rail transport company Trenes Argentinos Cargas y Logística.
The station served as a terminus of the Córdoba and Rosario Railway company, which laid down its first rails in 1888. The line went north to the city of Rafaela and then to Córdoba. In 1912, the company merged with the Córdoba Central Railway.
The central block of the Rosario station was completely destroyed by a fire on 31 December 1921. The reconstruction of the building was started almost immediately. It ended in 1926 with the construction of a characteristic cupola (dome-shaped vault), which has been preserved until the present.
In 1949 the government of Juan Perón nationalised the Argentine railways and reconfigured the lines. State-owned company Ferrocarriles Argentinos took over the Córdoba Central Railway, shuting down the passenger services handled by Rosario (Córdoba Central) and other stations, concentrating all of it at Rosario Oeste. Rosario Central Córdoba remained active for freight services only.
Starting in 2005, the terrains surrounding the station were employed to create an urban park ("Parque Hipólito Yrigoyen"). As part of the renewal of the area, the station was restored.
The station's building was also seat of the Asociación Rosarina Amigos del Riel (Rosario's Friends of the Rail Association), a railway advocacy and research non-profit organization. In August 2015, it was announced that the Argentine state will invest A$ 15 million in the refurbishment of the building.
- British Railways in Argentina 1860-1948 by H.R. Stones, P.E. Waters & Associates, Bromley, Kent, England, 1993
- "Historia Ferroviaria de Rosario", Asociación Rosarina Amigos del Riel, 4 Feb 2009
- "Rieles que corren sobre la memoria y el porvenir", La Capital, 10 Apr 2005
- "Se inauguró la primera etapa del Parque Hipólito Yrigoyen", Municipality of Rosario, 4 Dec 2006
- "¿Qué es la Asociación Rosarina Amigos del Riel (ARAR)?", 6 Feb 2009 (Archive)
- "Belgrano Cargas invierte 15 millones de pesos en la Estación Rosario Central Córdoba", Impulso y Negocios, 4 Ago 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rosario (Central Córdoba) station.|