Roscoe Wind Farm
|Roscoe Wind Farm|
Roscoe Wind Farm at sunrise
|Construction cost||>US$1 billion|
|Rated wind speed||17 mph (27 km/h)|
|Nameplate capacity||781.5 MW|
|Capacity factor||31.7% (average 2011-2017)|
|Annual net output||2,174 GW⋅h (7,830 TJ)|
The Roscoe Wind Farm in Roscoe, Texas, owned and operated by E.ON Climate and Renewables, is one of the world's largest-capacity wind farms, with 634 wind turbines and a total installed capacity of 781.5 MW. At the time of its completion in 2009, it was the largest wind farm in the world, surpassing the nearby 735.5-megawatt Horse Hollow Wind Energy Center. In 2012, it was overtaken by California's 1,020-megawatt Alta Wind Energy Center.
Roscoe was constructed in four phases. The first phase, Roscoe, was constructed in 2008 and consists of 209 Mitsubishi 1-megawatt turbines. Phase two is called Champion was also completed in 2008 and includes 55 Siemens 2.3-megawatt machines. The third phase is called Pyron. Its 166 GE 1.5-megawatt turbines were commissioned in mid-2009 shortly before the fourth phase, Inadale, was completed. Inadale adds 197 more Mitsubishi 1-megawatt turbines to the existing project.
The project cost more than $1 billion and provides enough power for more than 250,000 average Texan homes. It is located about 200 mi (320 km) west of Fort Worth, spanning parts of four Texas counties and covering nearly 100,000 acres (40,000 ha), several times the size of Manhattan.
Cliff Etheredge, a local cotton farmer, helped to organize the project. In addition to its large size, the farm is also notable for the large number of individual land owners (as many as 400) who share in royalties from the project. Wind farms are helping to revive the local economy in remote areas of West Texas and the Texas Panhandle.
The Roscoe Wind Farm and Cliff Etheredge are featured in the 2010 documentary film, Carbon Nation.
209 MW Unit 
126.5 MW Unit 
249 MW Unit 
197 MW Unit 
|Average Annual Production (2011–2017)||2,173,566|
- Wind power in the United States
- List of onshore wind farms
- Wind power in Texas
- List of power stations in Texas
- O'Grady, Eileen. E.ON completes world's largest wind farm in Texas Reuters, October 1, 2009.
- EC&R Completes 780-MW Roscoe Wind Farm Renewable Energy World, 2 October 2009.
- E.ON Delivers 335-MW of Wind in Texas Renewable Energy World, 23 September 2008.
- American Wind Energy Association. U.S. Wind Energy Industry Installs over 2,800 MW in First Quarter
- John Burnett. Winds of Change Blow into Roscoe, Texas NPR, November 27, 2007.
- "Roscoe, Annual". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved March 22, 2019.
- "Champion, Annual". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved March 22, 2019.
- "Pyron, Annual". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved March 22, 2019.
- "Inadale, Annual". Electricity Data Browser. Energy Information Administration. Retrieved March 22, 2019.