Roscommon–Leitrim (Dáil Éireann constituency)
|Former Dáil Éireann
|County/City council||County Roscommon
Roscommon–Leitrim was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas from 1969 to 1981. The constituency elected 3 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) to the Dáil, using the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
The constituency was created under the Electoral (Amendment) Act 1969, and first used for the 1969 general election. It replaced the previous Roscommon constituency and part of the Sligo–Leitrim constituency.
Its boundaries were revised in 1977, but the number of seats remained unchanged. The constituency was abolished for the 1981 general election, when its territory was divided between the existing Sligo–Leitrim constituency and a new Roscommon constituency.
||Electoral (Amendment) Act 1969||Constituency created.
The following areas in Galway North-East:
The following areas in Clare–Galway South:
|1977–1981||3||Boundaries more closely aligned with county boundaries, and defined as:||Electoral (Amendment) Act 1974||The following parts of Roscommon in Mayo East:
The following parts of Leitrim in Sligo–Leitrim:
|1981||—||Constituency abolished.||Electoral (Amendment) Act 1980||The two counties now represented through the constituencies of Roscommon–South Leitrim and Sligo–North Leitrim|
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Roscommon–Leitrim 1969–1981|
|20th||1973||Patrick J. Reynolds
|22nd||1981||Constituency abolished. See Roscommon and Sligo–Leitrim|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
1977 general election
|1977 general election: Roscommon–Leitrim|
|Fine Gael||Joan Burke||7,862||22.1||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Seán Doherty||5,968||16.8||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Terry Leyden||6,563||18.5||3|
|Fine Gael||Patrick J. Reynolds||5,802||16.3|
|Fianna Fáil||John Ellis||5,496||15.5|
|Fine Gael||Liam Naughten||2,624||7.4|
|Labour Party||Connie Fallon||395||1.1|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 35,567 Quota: 8,892 Turnout:|
1973 general election
|1973 general election: Roscommon–Leitrim|
|Fine Gael||Joan Burke||7,241||25.4||1||1|
|Fine Gael||Patrick J. Reynolds||4,706||16.5||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Hugh Gibbons||5,689||20.0||3|
|Fianna Fáil||Brian Lenihan||5,548||19.5|
|Fine Gael||Gerald Dodd||1,801||6.3|
|Fianna Fáil||Farrell McElgunn||1,704||6.0|
|Sinn Féin (Official)||Frances Grehan||770||2.7|
|Labour Party||Anthony O'Connell||503||1.8|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 28,475 Quota: 7,119 Turnout:|
1969 general election
|1969 general election: Roscommon–Leitrim|
|Fine Gael||Joan Burke||8,102||26.7||1||1|
|Fianna Fáil||Brian Lenihan||6,867||22.7||2|
|Fianna Fáil||Hugh Gibbons||5,282||17.4||3|
|Fine Gael||Patrick J. Reynolds||4,574||15.1|
|Fianna Fáil||Farrell McElgunn||2,467||8.1|
|Labour Party||Peter McGuinness||1,163||3.8|
|Fine Gael||Thomas Kilroy||1,009||3.3|
|Labour Party||Neil O'Shea||610||2.0|
|Labour Party||James Nolan||232||0.8|
|Electorate: ? Valid: 30,306 Quota: 7,577 Turnout:|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of historic Dáil Éireann constituencies
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1969: Schedule (constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 15 February 2009.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1980: Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 12 February 2009.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act, 1974: Schedule (Constituencies)". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 16 February 2009.
- Walker, Brian M, ed. (1992). Parliamentary election results in Ireland, 1918–92. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy. ISBN 0-901714-96-8. ISSN 0332-0286.
- "General election 1969: Roscommon–Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- "General election 1973: Roscommon–Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- "General election 1977: Roscommon–Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 22 September 2010.