Roscommon–South Leitrim (Dáil Éireann constituency)
Location of Roscommon–South Leitrim within Ireland
|County/City council||County Roscommon
Roscommon–South Leitrim is a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas. The constituency elects three deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
The constituency was created for the 2007 general election by the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2005, which gave effect to the 2004 Constituency Commission Report on Dáil Constituencies. It includes all of County Roscommon and the southern portion of County Leitrim (the area to the east and south of Lough Allen). This territory was previously represented through the constituencies of Longford–Roscommon and Sligo–Leitrim, both of which were abolished in 2007.
The Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 defines the constituency as:
- "The county of Roscommon;
- and, in the county of Leitrim, the electoral divisions of:
- Ballinamore, Cloverhill, Corralla, Drumreilly North, Drumreilly South, Garradice, Greaghglass, Killygar, Newtowngore, Oughteragh, in the former Rural District of Ballinamore;
- Annaduff, Carrick-on-Shannon, Drumsna, Gortnagullion, Gowel, in the former Rural District of Carrick-on-Shannon No. 1;
- Aghavas, Beihy, Breandrum, Bunny Beg, Carrigallen East, Carrigallen West, Cashel, Castlefore, Cattan, Cloone, Corriga, Drumard, Drumdoo, Drumod, Fenagh, Gortermone, Keeldra, Lisgillock, Mohill, Rinn, Riverstown, Roosky, Rowan, in the former Rural District of Mohill."
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Roscommon–South Leitrim 2007–|
|31st||2011||Luke 'Ming' Flanagan
|2014 by-election||Michael Fitzmaurice
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
|2014 by-election: Roscommon–South Leitrim|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6||Count 7|
|Fianna Fáil||Ivan Connaughton||22.0||7,334||7,502||7,652||7,846||8,863||10,083||12,050|
|Fine Gael||Maura Hopkins||16.8||5,593||5,742||5,864||6,075||7,312||8,476|
|Sinn Féin||Martin Kenny||17.7||5,906||6,184||6,283||6,447||7,022|
|Labour Party||John Kelly||6.1||2,037||2,060||2,090||2,144|
|Electorate: 64,873 Valid: 33,310 Spoilt: 262 (0.8%) Quota: 16,656 Turnout: 33,572 (51.8%)|
2011 general election
|2011 general election: Roscommon–South Leitrim|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6|
|Independent||Luke 'Ming' Flanagan||18.8||8,925||9,251||10,448||12,149|
|Fine Gael||Frank Feighan||18.9||8,983||9,457||9,902||11,130||11,239||13,266|
|Fine Gael||Denis Naughten||19.6||9,320||9,429||10,618||11,349||11,415||12,122|
|Fianna Fáil||Ivan Connaughton||8.6||4,070||5,379||5,856||6,254||6,285||7,034|
|Sinn Féin||Martin Kenny||9.8||4,637||5,369||5,526||6,042||6,108|
|Labour Party||John Kelly||9.4||4,455||4,617||4,894|
|Fianna Fáil||Gerry Kilrane||6.4||3,033|
|Green Party||Garreth McDaid||0.5||220|
|Electorate: 60,235 Valid: 47,504 Spoilt: 531 (1.1%) Quota: 11,877 Turnout: 48,035 (79.7%)|
2007 general election
|2007 general election: Roscommon–South Leitrim|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4|
|Fine Gael||Frank Feighan||19.8||9,103||9,507||10,421||12,065|
|Fianna Fáil||Michael Finneran||21.7||9,982||10,135||10,529||12,017|
|Fine Gael||Denis Naughten||19.4||8,928||9,354||9,670||11,048|
|Fianna Fáil||John Ellis||17.2||7,915||8,060||9,347||9,650|
|Sinn Féin||Martin Kenny||8.4||3,876||4,118|
|Green Party||Garreth McDaid||1.8||836|
|Labour Party||Hughie Baxter||1.8||832|
|Electorate: 62,437 Valid: 46,077 Spoilt: ? Quota: 11,520 Turnout: 73.8%|
2015 Marriage equality referendum
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of political parties in the Republic of Ireland
- List of Irish by-elections
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2005: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "General election 2007: Roscommon–South Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- "General election 2011: Roscommon–South Leitrim". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 27 February 2011.
- Flanagan campaigned as a member of the New Vision alliance.
- "Roscommon–South Leitrim by-election". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 11 October 2014.
- "Huge Ireland vote for gay marriage". BBC News. Retrieved 4 June 2015.