Rose-Marie (1928 film)
|Directed by||Lucien Hubbard|
|Written by||Lucien Hubbard|
by Otto A. Harbach
|Edited by||Carl F. Pierson|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
Rose-Marie is a 1928 American silent drama film directed by Lucien Hubbard. It was the first of three Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer adaptations of the 1924 operetta Broadway musical Rose-Marie. The best-known film adaptation starring Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald was released in 1936; another film was released in 1954. All three versions are set in the Canadian wilderness.
Portions of Rudolf Friml and Herbert Stothart's original score for the Broadway musical are utilized in the 1936 and 1954 films, but not for the silent version. MGM provided sheet music with the film for playing at the theater. Joan Crawford, who starred in the 1928 version alongside James Murray, later remarked, "Rose Marie was surprisingly good without the music, but I felt uneasy as a French Canadian, but the critics didn't notice."
- Joan Crawford as Rose-Marie
- James Murray as Jim Kenyon
- House Peters as Sergeant Malone
- Creighton Hale as Etienne Doray
- Gibson Gowland as Black Bastien
- George Cooper as Fuzzy
- Lionel Belmore sa Henri Duray
- William Orlamond as Emile La Flamme
- Polly Moran as Lady Jane
- Harry Gribbon as Trooper Gray
- Gertrude Astor as Wanda
- Ralph Yearsley as Jean
- Sven Hugo Borg as Hudson
- Lloyd Hamilton as Fuzzy - Bearded Trapper (scenes deleted)
- Lou Costello as Extra (uncredited)
- Margaret Lee as Extra (uncredited)
Rose-Marie was filmed on location at Yosemite National Park.
Rose-Marie is considered to be a lost film. MGM once had a policy, when a film was remade, to destroy prints of the original film, so prints of this film may have been destroyed when the 1936 remake was released.
- Rose-Marie as produced on Broadway at the Imperial Theatre, Sept 2 1924 - Jan. 16 1926; and a 1927 revival; IBDb.com
- Everett, William A. (2009). Rudolf Friml. University of Illinois Press. p. 50. ISBN 0-252-03381-7.
- Progressive Silent Film List: Rose-Marie at silentera.com
- Rose-Marie 1928 at legendaryjoancrawford.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rose-Marie (1928 film).|
|This article about a silent drama film from the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|