Rose Leveson-Gower, Countess Granville
The Countess Granville
Rose Constance Bowes-Lyon
6 May 1890
|Died||17 November 1967(aged 77)|
|Spouse(s)||William Leveson-Gower, 4th Earl Granville |
(m. 1916–53; his death)
|Parents||Claude Bowes-Lyon, 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne |
|Relatives||Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (sister) |
Rosie Stancer (granddaughter)
Rose Constance Leveson-Gower, Countess Granville GCVO CStJ (née Bowes-Lyon; 6 May 1890 – 17 November 1967) was the third daughter of the 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne by his wife, Cecilia Cavendish-Bentinck, and an elder sister of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother.
Life and family
The couple had two children, Lady Mary Cecilia (12 December 1917 – 13 February 2014) and Granville James Leveson-Gower, 5th Earl Granville (6 December 1918 – 31 October 1996). She stood godmother to her niece, Princess Margaret Rose of York, at the latter's christening on 3 October 1930.
She was invested as a Companion of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem (C.St.J.). She was also awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Laws (LL.D.) by Queen's University Belfast. In 1953, she was invested as a Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO).
Her husband died on 25 June 1953, aged 72. She outlived him by fourteen years when she died on 17 November 1967, aged 77. At the time of her death, she was the last sibling of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother to die.
Titles and styles
- 6 May 1890 – 16 February 1904: The Honourable Rose Bowes-Lyon
- 16 February 1904 – 24 May 1916: Lady Rose Bowes-Lyon
- 24 May 1916 – 21 July 1939: Lady Rose Leveson-Gower
- 21 July 1939 – 25 June 1953: The Right Honourable The Countess Granville
- 25 June 1953 – 17 November 1967: The Right Honourable The Dowager Countess Granville
- Charles Mosley, editor. Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1639.