Rose Petal Place
Rose Petal Place was an American-produced animated film from 1984 made by Ruby-Spears,  with a corresponding line of flower-themed toy dolls made by Kenner. The concept for Rose Petal Place was created by David Kirschner and the film was written by Mal Marmorstein.
Rose Petal Place was first introduced in the 1980's as an animated film which also included a corresponding toy line and playsets. Rose Petal dolls were markedly similar to the fruit and dessert-themed Strawberry Shortcake dolls, also made by Kenner. The Rose Petal dolls themselves were flower-themed and based on different types of flowers.
According to the toys' boxes and the movie, Rose Petal Place began a long time ago when a young girl (played by Nicole Eggert) was moving away from her lovely home and garden. She cried for her beloved garden because no one would be there to take care of her flowers. She didn't want them to perish, so she made a secret wish that the flowers would live forever. Out of this magical wish, combined with her tears of love, brought Rose Petal and all of her friends (Lily Fair, Daffodil, Orchid, Sunny Sunflower, and Iris) to life. Now living forever, Rose Petal and her friends reside in the garden and tend the little girl's flowers, but face trouble from the nefarious plots of Nastina the spider and her assistant Horace Fly.
Other accessories which were produced included lunchboxes, books, games, stickers, and various fashions for the dolls.
The primary characters of Rose Petal Place were:
- Rose Petal, a pink-haired, pink-clad doll whose singing keeps the other flowers alive. In the cartoon, Rose Petal was voiced by Marie Osmond.
- Sunny Sunflower, a yellow haired and clad tomboy who tells jokes to make the other flowers laugh. She is Rose Petal's closest companion.
- Iris, a purple and white clad painter of African ethnicity.
- Orchid, a purple clad shopaholic with white hair.
- Lily Fair, a blue haired and clad ballet dancer.
- Daffodil, another yellow haired and clad doll, this one obsessed with finance.
- Nastina, a widow spider who attempts to thwart the flowers' happiness, and even to kill Rose Petal on one occasion. Nastina is assisted by a horse-fly, Horace, who didn't get a toy.
Rose Petal Place: Real Friends (1985)
David Kirschner Productions and Ruby-Spears Enterprises created a second movie in 1985 called Rose Petal Place: Real Friends. This second movie introduced six new characters, which Kenner scheduled to be released as dolls shortly after. Although prototypes and marketing samples were made, the entire line was discontinued before the dolls could hit the shelves.
The second series of unproduced dolls
- Cherry Blossom, an Asian character wearing a costume similar to a cherry pink kimono.
- Sweet Violet, a light blue haired and clad actress.
- Fuchsia, a dark purple haired doll with fuchsia clothing and a taste for clothing design.
- Gladiola, a blonde doll with light pink clothes and a taste for tap dancing.
- Marigold, an orange haired and clad organizer of events.
- Canterbury Belle, a pink haired and clad baker.
Book and cassette episode list
In 1984, Parker Brothers put out a series of three books with accompanying cassette tapes, six books without cassettes, one Panorama book, and four coloring books.
|#||Title||ISBN or OCLC number||Featured Characters|
|1||"Rose Petal and the Evil Weeds"||OCLC 12867358||Rose Petal, Iris, Daffodil, Elmer, Sunny Sunflower, Tumbles the Hedgehog, Nastina, Horace, Seymour J. Snailsworth, P.D. Centipede, Pitterpat, Orchid, Lily Fair|
|2||"A Matter of Music"||OCLC 42553148||Rose Petal, Iris, Daffodil, Elmer, Sunny Sunflower, Tumbles the Hedgehog, Nastina, Horace, Seymour J. Snailsworth, P.D. Centipede, Pitterpat, Orchid, Lily Fair|
|3||"A Garden of Love to Share (cassette)"||ISBN 0910313636||Rose Petal, Iris, Daffodil, Elmer, Sunny Sunflower, Tumbles the Hedgehog, Nastina, Horace, Seymour J. Snailsworth, P.D. Centipede, Pitterpat, Orchid, Lily Fair|
|4||"A Garden of Love to Share (storybook)"||ISBN 0910313490|
|5||"A Garden of Love to Share (Panorama storybook)"||ISBN 0910313563|
|6||"The Fantastic Fashion Show"||ISBN 0910313504|
|7||"Lily Fair Learns a Lesson"||ISBN 0910313512|
|8||"Love Helps You Grow"||ISBN 091031358X|
|9||"Rose Petal's Big Decision"||ISBN 0910313520|
|10||"Fun Is All Around You"||ISBN 0910313598|